Bittorrent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bittorrent

My mate just got a letter from his ISP today telling him to seize downloading/uploading copyrighted material

He downloaded a film off Bittorrent the other day, and the publisher of said film have obtained his ip, and emailed it to his isp with a seize demand letter.

Anyone else had this yet?

(I've not mentioned anyone, apart from the source, incase there are legal implications)

NTL? by any chance. They usually do crap like this.

Comment

naw

Comment

The reason he has probably been caught is that when downloading a torrent file you are also uploading. You usually end up uploading the same amount of data as you have downloaded. ISP's will try to stop the uploading of stuff to try and cut out the sources.

Tell him to download an app called "net limiter" and cap his upload to something really low, that way they wont notice him.

Comment

Loads of people have had these letters. Only thing you can do is either stop downloading films or stop using public trackers. Capping your download/upload wont do anything as the film companies just seem to pick random IPs to send cease and desist orders to.

Comment

Of course, there is always the "stop illegally pirating copyrighted material" option.

Comment

Just use a proxy, also sometimes isps send out these letters even if you haven't downloaded any copyrighted works, they just don't like people who use up lots of bandwidth.

Comment

That's interesting, we didn't do that at Openworld. Who does that?

Comment

ive downloaded absolutely hundreds of different things off bittorrent and never had a problem, i'm with blueyonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Stu
                    That's interesting, we didn't do that at Openworld. Who does that?
                    *whistles*

Comment

IIRC, there's a nifty piece of software called Peer Guardian that might be of use to heavy downloaders...

/edit - Maybe I don't remember correctly...

Comment

Originally posted by rcb
                        ive downloaded absolutely hundreds of different things off bittorrent and never had a problem, i'm with blueyonder.
                        Ditto.

Comment

Peer Guarian is just an IP blocker, not really that useful tbh.

Regards
                          Marty

Comment

Originally posted by g-funk
                            Tell him to download an app called "net limiter" and cap his upload to something really low, that way they wont notice him.
                            Isn't the idea of bittorrent that your download speed is proportional to your upload speed though? If you cap your upload speed then your download speed would be not worth bothering with.

Comment

so, is this any good then? the latest version is 3.3 - and i was wondering if it has any spyware or adware on - as i'd rather just not get any on my computer at all, as opposed to downloading it and then going through the hassle of scanning and deleting it.

is it reliable and what not?

Comment

Working...
                              X