Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screens. Refresh rates, Vsync, FPS & input lag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screens. Refresh rates, Vsync, FPS & input lag.

More PC related gubbins....

So, about screens, their refresh rates and all that malarkey. I'm a relative noob to the ins and out of this stuff, I put vsync on every time, for every game. I can't put up with screen tearing, and havn't noticed any input lag.

On the interwebs of truth, there seems to be conflicting reports and barely any what you may call official evidence for the fact that 120hz screens have no screen tearing with vsync off. As far as I understand, if you go over 120FPS on a 120HZ monitor, screen tearing will occur?

I'm quite happy being tied to around 60FPS on my current screen with a smooth vsynced picture, though question....am I missing out by not having a 120hz screen? Are frame rates above 60fps a waste?
    Last edited by Baseley09; 25-04-2012, 08:47.

If you're gaming competitively there's some reason to get a 120hz monitor in that you you're getting 120 frames per second drawn which is double the frames of a regular 60hz monitor. I'd say input lag is more important though and if you're happy with your 60hz monitor then I'd stick with it tbh.

I've got a ASUS VK246H that I bought because it has minimal input lag and despite it being 60hz and a TN panel I really can't fault it.

Comment

I don't think screen tearing just occurs as a Result of FPS going over the monitors refresh rate. It also occurs because it is under the refresh rate.

Comment

Working...
      X