Strange TV/PS3 issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange TV/PS3 issue.

I was playing on my PS3 last weekend when the TV suddenly switched itself off. After a few seconds it came back on. Then it kept doing it every few minutes. So naturally I presumed my TV was on the blink. It is 5 years old.
    BUT it works fine when watching TV, playing on my Wii or using my old DVD player.
    So could it be a PS3 problem? I've ordered a new HDMI cable just in case so just waiting for that to arrive to test it.
    Anyone had anything similar before? Can the PS3 affect my TV so specifically? There are three different HDMI slots on the TV. I've tried them all but the problem persists.
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

My PS3 will occasionally do the following to my Samsung TV.

After it's been on a couple of minutes some white noise flashes at the bottom of the screen, gradually getting worse until it suddenly stops or I lose picture altogether. Switching tv off and on again fixes it. Or sometimes the screen goes black and the TV tells me it can't support the input range. Again, a reboot of tv fixes it. never happens with any other HDMI device hooked up e.g. Sky box or XBox or any other input. I believe it comes down the DHCP on the PS3 but I have no proof. Tried multiple HDMI leads including an expensive Cambridge one. No difference. Dunno if this helps!

Comment

Thanks for replying dude.
      Mine is also a Samsung TV. Maybe that's an issue?
      What is DHCP?
      If the new HDMI cable doesn't work then I can only think to return the PS3 as faulty as it's only 6 months old.
      Don't want to lose all my game saves and downloaded films though!

Comment

Longshot but what res is the tv and what res do ou have the ps3 outputting?

I know some(most?) 720p TVs will take a 1080p input and scale it down, but maybe outputting direct at 720p would stop the issue.

Comment

DHCP is the copy protection stuff.

I've had a fat and slim PS3 both have the same issue with this TV. No problems with the Sony or Philips sets I had previously though. Can you use Component instead?

Comment

I had to resort to component. This is the reason I'll never buy a Samsung again.

Comment

Is it a slim PS3? Another long shot, but you could try enabling/disabling hdmi-cec just in case:

Sony Computer Entertainment PS3™ Official Online Instruction Manual. Explains how to use the PS3™ system software.

Do you have anything else HDMI, does that have the same problem?

Comment

Thanks for all the advice dudes.
                I tried everything, including a new HDMI cable, but it didn't make a difference.
                Then I accidentally knocked out the TV aerial while trying to connect the component lead and now it works fine!
                So it just means that I have to unplug the TV aerial while using my PS3.
                A slight ball-ache but at least it works again.
                Not sure what that means the problem is though? Maybe just having conflicting signals at the same time?

Comment

Poor shielding somewhere?

Comment

Something wonky with the TV, or maybe the earthing? Aerial really shouldn't affect that. I'd be tempted to contact Samsung, see if its a known problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X