Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best cloud storage for files (non-sharing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best cloud storage for files (non-sharing)

Hi, I'm looking for advice on cloud storage. I need around 50GB to store my photography online. I'm not interested in sharing, or anything like that ?*just a hard drive in the cloud.

Any recomendations?

Thanks

I have been using Sugarsync (that's my referral link) for a long time. It automatically creates online photo albums for you which you can set to public if you want. I'm on the 100GB package.

It keeps 5 iterations and is easy to use (client does all the work for you on your PC).

Alternatively for cheaper, you could try carbonite.

Comment

got to be honest i would never use cloud storage.....just relying on someone else to look after my stuff is not for me would rather just put them on a usb drive or something

Comment

google had one of their data centers burn to the ground. Nothing left. They didn't lose a single bit of data.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          I have been using Sugarsync (that's my referral link) for a long time. It automatically creates online photo albums for you which you can set to public if you want. I'm on the 100GB package.
          Can it be accessed as a network drive via WebDAV or by FTP/browser, without using their client?

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
            got to be honest i would never use cloud storage.....just relying on someone else to look after my stuff is not for me would rather just put them on a usb drive or something
            The quality and resilience of these datacenters these days is such that you are extremely unlikely to lose data. You may get hacked though and find all your dodgy photos plastered over the web

I use Skydrive (microsoft) as it links nicely with my Lumia phone (win7 mobile), seems absolutely fine.

Comment

You can access it online on other devices via browser (upload and download). You can also email files to it (special email address). It also allows you to sync multiple devices on the same account, so I have my PC and Lucy's laptop backed up to it. Additionally both our mobiles sync to it automatically, so no worries about mobiles getting trashed.

The client allows you to see the folder and files on the other devices and click on them to open them (downloads from the cloud).

There is also a magic briefcase - if you drop something in that, it swiftly appears on all other devices with the briefcase enabled. So the scanner is attatched to my PC and the scanner is set to autosave scans in that briefcase, so Lucy will see her scans straight away on her laptop without fiddling around.

However, it is not drag and drop network drive (I think that's how dropbox works?) - it's designed to be more pervasive and just happen via the client without any thought from the user.
              Last edited by charlesr; 07-06-2012, 09:36.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                google had one of their data centers burn to the ground. Nothing left. They didn't lose a single bit of data.
                i've always wondered this, do each of the datacenters hold copies of all the data held on each one so they can be straight back in business if a fire or anything happens as fibre optic connections will be rather fast these days.

I thought it was best to have multiple hard discs with data spread across them on my pc, incase anything goes down.

Comment

was more fearful of something happening to cloud storage sites like with what happened with megaupload

Comment

Working...
                  X