Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

softmod a 9800SE into a 9800 pro

this is a fantastic scoop:

I honestly can't think of a more compelling graphics card purchase in recent times. It fits so many possible scenarios. It'll play Half Life 2 and Doom 3 when they appear with good performance, it plays all current games titles just fine with IQ enhancing features enabled to boot. The All-In-Wonder hardware and software bundle just top it off. The price is excellent too.

Neil

Provided it sofmod's its a nice option, tbh tho i'd rather pay the extra 40 quid, and get a vanilla Herc 9800 and OC it further (it also has memory sinks and that cool looking blue on the fan).

Comment

Just ordered the card from overclockers - funny thing tho i was just about to post for comparisons.

i love the soft mod idea as it requires no flashing ?170 from overclockers in shipping, not bad- convient as my main graphics card is having some nasty problems

Comment

Hows about www.lowestonweb.com, i've known about this for a long while and a person on another forum i read has been selling them. They sell for about ?150 on lowestonweb.

Comment

Im getting the hercules one for two reason:

one Guaranteed 256 Memory bus, the ones ive seen from lowest only have 128 which is bad, as the card will have (roughly) half the bandwidth i.e 9- gflops instead of 18-19 on the 256.

Even if the card doesnt soft mod it will be a) better than my glitching graphics card and b) have AIW on it

Comment

I'm getting a softmod aiw9800 for ?150

Comment

Is that guaranteed soft mod?

Comment

why? are the overclockers ones guaranteed softmoddable?

Comment

No none are guaranteed, some sites are selling pre tested one that work with all 8 pipes, i got my radeon this morning - love the card

soft modded went ok - only game ive seen artifacts in is halo and there only small dots so im quite happy

Comment

do you know which sites are pre-testing them?

Comment

I tried this on a Herc last night and the softmod appeared to work but in some resolutions/modes I'd just get garbage. Backed it out and swapped for a real pro as I need the dual VGA anyway. On the first 3dmark2001 test though my fps double with this mod!

Neil.

Comment

Expand a bit on it mate.

Exactly what res/modes didnt it like? was there heavy artifacting? this card could be a boon for paupers like me who cant/wont spend ?350 on a video card

Comment

It really is hit and miss, i was expecting it not to work at all - i.e artifacts, checker boards etc but im quite impressed

Comment

Which sites were selling it pre-tested though Oracle?

Comment

some german one for 275 euros ill try and find it

Comment

Working...
                              X