Small Form Factor PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Form Factor PC

Looking to get one of these to use as a media centre and for a bit of emulation (Upto PS1) on my living room TV. There seem to be a lot of manufacturers doing them these days, Dell, Acer etc. Anyone got any advice on buying one? Is the Intel Atom processor any good for hi def video and emulators, or is it worth getting one with i5?

Legacy CPU benchmarks: Compare two products side-by-side or see a cascading list of product ratings along with our annotations.

atom processors are not very good at all

Comment

I built my mate an i5 based mITX PC. Tis neat-o.

Atom are much better than they were, but nothing compared to a proper CPU.

Comment

atom can do HD video and runs cool, but is very slow in comparison.

Comment

I have a number of Dell 745 USFF we are 'disposing' of at work.
          They are C2D E6400 2.13Ghz 2Gb ram winxp.

PM if interested
          Last edited by smouty; 27-06-2012, 13:12. Reason: CPU speed updated

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
            I have a number of Dell 745 USFF we are 'disposing' of at work.
            They are C2D 2.4Ghz 2Gb ram winxp.

PM if interested
            Chuck in an SSD and maybe 2GB more of cheap memory, and DVI to HDMI cable and that's a super unit! Take this man up on his offer!

On the Atom, I have a ION330 OC to 2.1Ghz and even with GPU enhancement it just doesn't manage HD iPlayer or Flash. For some reason Youtube 720p is smooth, but not other video. There is a huge number of articles about this on the web, but if I was starting again I would go for an intel x86 Dual/Quad core soltuion. (i5 or whatever)

Comment

Sounds like codecs to me.

Comment

I have around 6 of the USFF PCs left @?75 if anyone is still looking.

Comment

Working...
                X