Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to SSD, moving steam games

Hi,

Just bought an SSD. The plan is to install Win 7 on the SSD, followed by Steam. I then want steam to access all my game on my old drive without re downloading them etc. Is this possible?

You won't need to reinstall Steam or any games, just copy the entire Steam directory to wherever you like and create a shortcut to the executable.

Comment

So steam currently lives in C:\Program Files\Steam (for example). After installing the SSD I could move Steam to the root of what will now be the D: drive, create a shortcut to that and all will be well? Surely not! nothing has ever been that easy on a PC! Sounds too good to be true lol!

Comment

Might need to delete clientregistry.blob, but yes it's that simple.

Comment

HAMAZE!
          Thanks chaps.

Comment

I did this the other day, I had to run the EXE for each game straight from the directory, if I tried running the game from the steam library, it would start downloading again.

Runing the EXE first set steam off searching for the files before trying to DL anything

Comment

Isn't that why you delete the clientregistry.blob?

Comment

Maybe it is, I only moved the commonapps folder when I did mine

Comment

Do you have a super-fast SSD that is too small to hold all your steam games at the same time? Then try Steam Mover.

This makes things a whole lot quicker.

Comment

See my post on the other SSD thread, you can put *a selection* of games on the ssd if you use mklink, so those ones run fast while the others run slow.

Comment

Working...
                    X