Dreamcast replacement cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast replacement cases

Does anyone know where you can still get these? I wanted to repalce my case which is now yellow. I noticed there was some on Ebay but the cost and postage is more than I want to pay, ..something like ?80 from America.
    Last edited by SUMIRE; 20-06-2012, 08:27.

Buy another Dreamcast and sell your older yellowing one. Should lose about ?5-10 I guess.

Comment

Yeah I thought of that, but it will just go yellow again.

Comment

Could these new 3d printers be used to print your own replacement cases someday?

Comment

Maybe you guys know more about this than me but DC cases shouldn't yellow unless they really have been maltreated ie. left in full sunlight, near a heat source like a radiator or in a smokey environment for years on end. That will do for quite a few plastics and there are other retro games console which apparently fare even worse if treated similarly.

In the DC's case I've read this problem was known to be accelerated in certain early models because of the plastic mix formula they used to make the cases. Later models were supposed to have used a more UV/heat resistant one.

I have four PAL DCs, two are in storage and the two well used and have been sitting under a TV or on a shelf for 8 - 10 years. Although the colour is not what it was neither of these is yellowing yet.

Comment

Mine is a launch Japanese one, it was used a fair bit but been left in box for a long time. I wouldn't say it was really bad, just noticeable. I always look after my stuff, so It is definitely something to do with the plastic, but you may be right, newer ones may be less prone to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
              Yeah I thought of that, but it will just go yellow again.
              Well there you go then, just keep yours or buy a limited edition machine.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                Well there you go then, just keep yours or buy a limited edition machine.
                I was hoping you could still buy the coloured shells for a cheap price rather than spending ?100+ on a new console.

Comment

You used to be able to (I previously had a purple one) but they're pretty hard to come by now and whenever they do appear on ebay they sell for silly amounts.

Comment

Working...
                  X