cheap gaming htpc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap gaming htpc?

I've been thinking it would be good to have a htpc for gaming, but I don't know if what I want is possible.

Basically something along the lines of this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df...tal-foundry-pc
    but quiet and in a case that'll look ok under the TV.

any advice?

Decent article, I've already been thinking of building a rig for a while but that makes me even more tempted...

Comment

Can't really argue with the facts on the article, though for sure you will need an OS, which you can yarr online, plus keyboard and mouse.

Only thing to beware if thinking of HTPC profile is to be sure the case has room for full height graphics cards, and seriously of you were going to do this I'd suggest getting a better gfx card than the 6770 they use.

Comment

Have finished reading the whole article now and I think whilst their build is clearly based on budget and does very well for it, I'd still be inclined to go for an i5 2500k, a better graphics card and perhaps an SSD.

As I said though definitely an interesting article!

Comment

Just buy one already. I wouldn't recommend that PSU for better parts though.

Comment

OK, I'm happy to go ahead with it, and am considering an SSD. I was into PC gaming many years ago so I feel comfortable with most aspects of putting a PC together spec-wise, but the main things I don't know much about are the case & the PSU - power was never an issue back then that I was aware of!

So can anyone recommend/point out cases that would be suitable, and can anyone comment on how quiet/noisy the eurogamer PC would be, or suggest alternatives?

Comment

Scan is a good place to start, here are most of the styles for HTPC cases covered:

Welcome to our Computer Cases | LED Strips page. Here you will find leading brands such as Aerocool, Akasa, Antec, APC, Arctic, ASUS, be quiet!, Cables Direct, Chieftec, CiT, Codegen, Cooler Master, Corsair, Deepcool, Dell, Dynamode, Fractal Design, FS, GameMax, Hipoint, HYTE, ICY DOCK, In Win, Inter-Tech, Jou-Jye, LMS Data, Logic Case, Montech, MSI, Noctua, NZXT, Orion, Panduit, PCICase, Scan, Scan Cables, SilverStone, StarTech.com, Supermicro, Thermalright, ThermalTake, Ubiquiti, Vida, Xclio.

As for PSU, unless you are looking at high end graphics cards, a well known brand 600W PSU will suit all your needs and give you some extra room to boot, you could probably go lower than that depending what GFX card you opt for.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think I need a "full ATX" case to have enough space to put in a proper gfx card etc, that right? Do I need to worry about cooling particularly? Anyone able to advise how noisy/otherwise a 6770HD would be or does it depend?

This (on the face of it) looks like a bargain, but I assume there's something wrong with it?
                Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

Comment

This review looks a bit important if you want to use a GPU:

Reviewed by: Tim Bates (Nottingham)
                  I have been pleased with this case for a couple of years now, however I have just upgraded my graphics card, and the case wont allow space for the psu and the graphics card. Leaving me going back to an old tower until i can buy something else with a little more room

Comment

Thanks CS, I agree, so how do you tell in advance whether that'll be an issue? The review says he's upgraded his card so sounds like the old one fit. Presumably that could be an issue with any case...is it the fault of the case or the card?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, hopefully this might be of use to more than just me...

Comment

Originally posted by Psyduck View Post
                      Thanks CS, I agree, so how do you tell in advance whether that'll be an issue? The review says he's upgraded his card so sounds like the old one fit. Presumably that could be an issue with any case...is it the fault of the case or the card?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions, hopefully this might be of use to more than just me...
                      This case requires "Low profile" GPU's. Best to avoid.

You should look for something with space for a GTX680 type card. (Smaller than the last gen monsters, but still quite big)

You will find some good ideas here:

Small but perfectly formed: Micro, ITX, NUC PCs and single board computers such as the Raspberry Pi. Check out the OcUK Barebones Range.

I like this one:

But I am not 100% what size GPU's it can take.

Anyway, the linked forum is specifically for your needs, so seems a good place to take a dip and come back here with questions.

Comment

Although I did try overclockers forum, I seemed to get more/better advice over on AVforums. Thanks to you guys and them I've got a new machine up and running.

It turned out that the biggest problem was the height I had available, that really restricted my choice of case. Once I got that sorted the rest wasn't too bad.

I got this case http://www.xcase.co.uk/product-p/case-x301.htm (in black, ala the video, not the hideous one in the picture). Then a silverstone 450w psu, Pentium G840 CPU, 128gb Samsung 830 SSD (I've got plenty of removable storage for storing stuff), 8gb ram, HD7770 GPU, and it came in at pretty much bang on ?400. Motherboard supports ivy bridge CPUs so I've got scope to upgrade there, and I think (space permitting) it'd work with a geforce 670 so there's space to upgrade in future. Runs nice and quiet. Not really put it through it's paces gaming wise yet though.

Cheers for the help.

Comment

Working...
                        X