Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using an Asus RT-N56U with BT Infinity....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using an Asus RT-N56U with BT Infinity....

I got it all setup yesterday, speeds were working fine etc. But ever since about 10PM last night, the speeds on it literally cut in half on speed tests and on BT's Speed tester.

Yesterday I had steam downloading at like 5 MB/s, Netflix on in another room and Apple trailers at 1080p on my Apple TV which were loading pretty much instantly.

Today, I can't get a 1080p Apple trailer to work by itself without buffering.

I know it's something to do with the router because the HH3 gets me upto 69Mb/s on speed tests etc.

Any ideas what could be causing that? All I've done on the Asus is stuck my @btbroadband.co.uk in for the username and BT for the password, setting it as PPPOE.

I'll call Asus tomorrow if no one has a clue but it has me stumped.
    Last edited by Synthesthesia; 18-07-2012, 21:55.

My sister got sent a new homehub yesterday because the old one couldn't cope with all her wireless devices and the new hh3 appears to be shonky, randomly disconnecting the devices. I had a look through the "advanced" options and there didn't even appear to be a way of turning off the SSID broadcast.

My Father doesn't use wireless and he has never had any problems with his.

However, I can't help but think you should just get a decent router.

Comment

Have you updated the firmware on the Asus? There are a few post regarding this in the BT care forum.

There are also posts regarding the HH3 wireless that people have.
      Here are my settings that are 100% stable for my devices.
      If you use WPA2 then you must use AES encryption on the client.
      Windows allows you to set TKIP but this is outside of the standard and included when draft N was around.

Last edited by smouty; 19-07-2012, 08:54.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        My sister got sent a new homehub yesterday because the old one couldn't cope with all her wireless devices and the new hh3 appears to be shonky, randomly disconnecting the devices. I had a look through the "advanced" options and there didn't even appear to be a way of turning off the SSID broadcast.

My Father doesn't use wireless and he has never had any problems with his.

However, I can't help but think you should just get a decent router.
        I think you mis-read what I've said... The Homehub is working fine. It's my new Asus router that I'm having a problem with, and it's a great router from what I've used of it, it's just for some reason working really slow with my connection.

Originally posted by smouty View Post
        Have you updated the firmware on the Asus? There are a few post regarding this in the BT care forum.

There are also posts regarding the HH3 wireless that people have.
        Here are my settings that are 100% stable for my devices.
        If you use WPA2 then you must use AES encryption on the client.
        Windows allows you to set TKIP but this is outside of the standard and included when draft N was around.

It's not only the wireless speed that's being effected, my IP Profile wired GbE to my PC was only getting 36mb/ of a maximum 72mb. Literally swapped the home hub in and even on the HH3's not so great wireless I'm getting 50mb/s pretty consistently.

I think it might be something to do with the hardware NAT or something...

And yeah the firmware is up to date.

Edit: Think the firmware update might have actually been the problem. Read some american on a forum saying with comcast and the latest g firmware his connection was dropping all the time, went back to the F one and it was fine. I'm not 100% sure it's solved yet but I'm getting full speed from it now just pulled the 200MB GTX 580 driver down at nearly 10MB/s, which is the highest I've seen it go for a HTTP download. Before that the most I saw was about 2MB/s if I was lucky.

Hopefully it stays this speed now I've put the firmware back!
        Last edited by Synthesthesia; 19-07-2012, 13:13.

Comment

You are in the 15 day phase when you first get it the speed goes bat**** crazy for a fortnight mine went anywhere from 4-50mb it will settle in a fortnight or so (you probably should use their equipment for that period then switch to whatever you want)

Comment

ooops. Sorry, I just presumed the Asus was a laptop Some of what you wrote was a bit confusing in that context, but I just presumed it was because you were clueless, whereas it's actually me

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
              ooops. Sorry, I just presumed the Asus was a laptop Some of what you wrote was a bit confusing in that context, but I just presumed it was because you were clueless, whereas it's actually me
              Haha I have a cold/flu sort of thing at the moment, I didn't directly say it was a router so I understand the confusion . I'm a Mac guy though Retina MacBook Pro all teh way .

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
              You are in the 15 day phase when you first get it the speed goes bat**** crazy for a fortnight mine went anywhere from 4-50mb it will settle in a fortnight or so (you probably should use their equipment for that period then switch to whatever you want)
              I asked the engineers when they were over and he said that the router wouldn't effect anything to do with the speed, even let me set it up with the Asus one but I was having a problem getting the config page to actually come up at the time so I just let him stick it on the HH3.

Pretty sure it was a problem with the firmware on the Asus because I kept reconnecting on the Asus and got the same speeds, as soon as I stuck the HH3 it was back up to 69Mb/s. Tried it back on the Asus 39mb. Downgraded the firmware to the f one, and back up to 69Mb/s.

The HH3 actually isn't a bad little router tbh. Would be more than enough for most people, but I just can't put up with the slow wireless speeds/ needed a GbE router. Lovely getting 25MB/s wireless transfers to my NAS
              Last edited by Synthesthesia; 19-07-2012, 20:12.

Comment

Probably worth looking for similar threads/asking on the BT forum http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bd-p/BTInfinity

Comment

Working...
                X