Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally going to build a PC, need help with component selection!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the case is a major PITA, but he was quite insistent on that unfortunately. Maybe something like this would be ok? But then I dunno if limiting yourself to ITX is a bad thing or not...

Or this ugly as hell cheap ass thing?

Comment

mITX in itself is fine, although the motherboards are pricey.

Comment

So not really knowing much about anything I've added this lot as a basis, any good?

I know it's already at the budget without an SSD, disc drive or GPU but maybe everything could be lowered in spec, I really don't know!

Comment

That PSU won't fit, I'd seriously want at least 8GB, there's no point having the lower power i3 and that motherboard would need a BIOS update to support Ivy Bridge, if it even does.

I'll have a go with no SSD and blu-drive.

Comment

Free postage if you link your AVForums account with SCAN btw.

Comment

Lol, I told you I had no idea!

Thanks for that, looks good for ?300. So I presume the onboard graphics are enough for what he wants to do? And a 220w PSU is enough?

CeX have the CPU for ?70 so could always shave ?20 there which is half way to a basic SSD too, assuming the 2120 is actually any good.

Comment

220w is enough yeah. Intel HD2000 is perfect for basic video work yes.

2120 is a tasty CPU, better than the one I have in my machine.

Comment

Sounds perfect then! Thanks for the help man.

Comment

You might want to consider the new AMD Trinity processors something like the A8-5600K which are priced very competitively compared to Intel's I3 line. The GPU part of the AMD will be far superior to any I3 and very good for a HTPC with some casual gaming. Only problem for you might be that i don't think there is any ITX M/Bs available only mATX.

Comment

I think in this example the i3 would be more suitable, the CPU part is lacking on the AMD solutions currently. Nice solution for budget gaming though yes.

Comment

I've built an HTPC using this case http://www.xcase.co.uk/product-p/case-x301.htm

Ignore the awful picture of the red version, look at the black one in the video at the bottom instead.

Comment

Working...
                        X