Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media Players

Howdy all,

Decided I've had enough of the billions of DVD's around the place so been thinking about finally joining the 21st Century & getting a Media Player to rip everything too.

However I have no idea if this is a good idea or not?

I've been looking at something like a Popcorn Hour & using multiple HDD's to store the films on but have no real idea how this works.

Does anyone do this now & what exactly would be involved??

Thanks in advance

Neil

Can I suggest you just use TVersity on your PC to start with, streamed to your Xbox or PS.

This will get you used to the tech and you can see if you need something dedicated. Use handbrake with anydvd (or free equivalent decrypter) to rip a couple of DVDs to h.264 in mp4/m4v transport encodes. If you need to know the handbrake settings for good xbox encodes, let me know.

Comment

Thanks Charles.

I did try that years ago for streaming Anime but could never get it too work 100% so thought perhaps I'd just jump straight in with the Media Player this time.

Will look into it further.

Thanks

Neil

Comment

PS3 Media Server is better from my experience..

Personally I just use my desktop as a media player. 24" screen mind. I do sometimes use a long HDMI cable to hook it up to my TV though and just get up every time I want to play a new file. Less than desirable but I don't have much luck with 10bit anime and XBMC.

Apple TVs are pretty good if you had a NAS though, you jailbreak them and they can play stuff via XBMC. But again, not sure about 10bit stuff.

Comment

When I first tried TVersity it was pants, but the last couple of years have been great. However, I've just noticed the latest version (2.x) needs to be paid for. If you can get hold of 1.9.7 off filehippo, I can say it's now very efficient and refreshes media very quickly.

I have a friend with a popcorn and he is very pleased with it. They play mkv too.

You'll need to consider backup - ripping your discs more than once is not going to be fun. Actually even once is going to be painful, so suggest you check out that thread posted recently about the paid rip service too.

Comment

Ah I haven't used it since at least 09 so that might be why then. Also my desktop has a better processor so it'd be better for on the fly transcoding now too. But as I say I don't mind sitting at my desk personally, but I don't have a nice living room to relax in.

Seconding Handbrake too, really nice program. Can take a while depending on your hardware though.
            Last edited by speedlolita; 02-08-2012, 15:46.

Comment

I've used a few different media players over the years, ever since I knew I had a sproglet on the way. I started with an original Xbox running XBMC, moved on to a first-gen AppleTV and I've been using the PS3 in conjunction with PS3MediaServer on the Mac for the past few years.

I've patiently waited for some enterprising individual to jailbreak the new AppleTV 3, but that's not happened unfortunately. I have a dislike of iTunes and I really don't want to have to transfer my entire media library into it. I also don't want to have my computer on all the time running iTunes, or indeed the PS3MS software.

So, as the PS3 is finally going inside the Cab, I needed to sort out a solution pretty quick so I can the kids can watch Ducktales and My Little Pony. I decided the Western Digital WD TV Live sounded like the best solution so I ordered one from Amazon for about 70 nicker.

I haven't set it up yet as it only arrived earlier. Anyone else get their post delivered at 6:30PM? It looks nice and it's absolutely tiny. I'll give it a good test over the next few day and report back after the weekend...

Comment

Sumvision Cyclone 2+ is a fantastic media player and plays everything thrown at it, just stick a sd card in or attach an external HD to it via the usb port on the front and away you go, I currently use a 750gb portable drive that is usb powered this is primarily for Blu-Ray rips, I use a usb thumb drive for ongoing anime series

Ebuyer stock more than 20,000 products for the home, office, or school from leading brands. Next day delivery and 0% finance options available.

Comment

A friend of mine has also recommended that Sumvision. Looks like a really good piece of kit for the price.

Comment

Only one option imo, that's boxee box. Absolutely love mine!!

Comment

I don't believe there is a one box solution. At the moment I'm using Plex media server on Linux at the backend to serve various clients including IOS devices, 360, WDTVLive and a Samsung SMART TV as it now supports DLNA.

It doesn't need to be expensive e.g. using an HP micro server which is still on offer with a ?100 cashback - http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...916.html?dnr=1
                      It includes a 250Gb HDD and there is space for 4 more drives. Works out much cheaper than a comparative NAS.

Plex client on IOS

Last edited by smouty; 03-08-2012, 08:33.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, some options there.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                        I've used a few different media players over the years, ever since I knew I had a sproglet on the way. I started with an original Xbox running XBMC, moved on to a first-gen AppleTV and I've been using the PS3 in conjunction with PS3MediaServer on the Mac for the past few years.

I've patiently waited for some enterprising individual to jailbreak the new AppleTV 3, but that's not happened unfortunately. I have a dislike of iTunes and I really don't want to have to transfer my entire media library into it. I also don't want to have my computer on all the time running iTunes, or indeed the PS3MS software.

So, as the PS3 is finally going inside the Cab, I needed to sort out a solution pretty quick so I can the kids can watch Ducktales and My Little Pony. I decided the Western Digital WD TV Live sounded like the best solution so I ordered one from Amazon for about 70 nicker.

I haven't set it up yet as it only arrived earlier. Anyone else get their post delivered at 6:30PM? It looks nice and it's absolutely tiny. I'll give it a good test over the next few day and report back after the weekend...
                        Look forward to hearing what you think as that one seems to crop up a lot & you can get them cheap second hand which is always a bonus.

Originally posted by chojin View Post
                        Sumvision Cyclone 2+ is a fantastic media player and plays everything thrown at it, just stick a sd card in or attach an external HD to it via the usb port on the front and away you go, I currently use a 750gb portable drive that is usb powered this is primarily for Blu-Ray rips, I use a usb thumb drive for ongoing anime series

http://www.ebuyer.com/274064-cyclone...micro-2-player
                        Now that looks pretty smart & cheap.
                        What USB powered HDD are you using??
                        I have a 1TB drive but it has a PSU as well so not sure that would work with it?

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
                        Only one option imo, that's boxee box. Absolutely love mine!!
                        Have seen them but that may be pushing my budget a bit.
                        Is it really that good??

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                        I don't believe there is a one box solution. At the moment I'm using Plex media server on Linux at the backend to serve various clients including IOS devices, 360, WDTVLive and a Samsung SMART TV as it now supports DLNA.

It doesn't need to be expensive e.g. using an HP micro server which is still on offer with a ?100 cashback - http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...916.html?dnr=1
                        It includes a 250Gb HDD and there is space for 4 more drives. Works out much cheaper than a comparative NAS.

Now that sounds impressive but I am in no way technically minded enough to get that working I think...looks & sounds perfect though.

Oh have downloaded Handbrake so now it's time to start ripping...I expect this will take ALONG time

Charles,

You mentioned something about a paid Rip service??
                        I did a search on the forums but couldn't find anything do you have details anywhere?

Thanks again guys I appreciate it.

Neil

Comment

For 100% compatibility with everything, connect a PC to your TV directly, or get an old small form factor PC, add a passive gfx card for ?25 and you are laughing.

Download VLC & Media Player Classic + K-Lite codec pack and you will never fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                            You mentioned something about a paid Rip service??
                            http://www.bordersdown.net/showthrea...light=welcomes (post #19)
                            Note, it was spam - we have no idea if it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              http://www.bordersdown.net/showthrea...light=welcomes (post #19)
                              Note, it was spam - we have no idea if it's good.
                              Thanks for that.

Hmmmm seems ok but that's going to cost me hundreds as I've got 300+ films not including TV series so WAY more than I can afford.
                              Doing it myself it is then

Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X