Cleaning a N64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning a N64

Can't seem to get a video signal from my Asian N64 and I wondered what is the best way to clean it, preferrably without opening it.

I have tried some light blowing and Q-tips with alcohol, although the q-tip isn't small enough to get down in the middle of cartridge attachment (or what it's called) in the N64.

I've tested with both composite and RGB scart on 2 different TVs. All I get is sound and some slight blue flickering.

Edit: I've even tested this weird method to no avail.
    Last edited by MoFo2; 19-08-2012, 18:03.

No one?

Comment

You think the problem is with the cart connector, not the video out?

Comment

Well, I can get sound with 2 different cables on 2 different TVs, I guess it could be the video out itself.

Comment

You might need to open it and check if it needs resoldering or something.

Comment

I've mentioned about the signal strength

It's something I experienced years ago only with a N64 where te signal was too strong for the TV and had to get a booster / converter for it to work

Just seems quite similar to that - might not be but strangely similar but I haven't experienced it on modern tv's

Comment

Hmm I just find it odd that it's just the N64. I had no problems with other NTSC-consoles (on my LCD-TV): SFC, Gamecube, Q, Wii, PS3. I'm not sure what to do as I have no experience in opening up and solder.
              Last edited by MoFo2; 22-08-2012, 21:49.

Comment

It's been converted to RGB right? When you tried the RGB cable, did it switch the TV to the correct input? Depending on how a Nintendo RGB cable is wired, it may not, but may give a similar picture to what you're describing. If you manually switch to the correct input, what happens with the RGB cable?

Do both the composite and RGB cables give the same results?

Pete

Comment

I don't think the N64 outputs RGB, I used a scart-cable I had for my SFC so maybe I have mixed those two up. Either way, one of the TVs change automatically to either composite or .. scart depending on what I have connected, the other one I have to change manually. Same results with both cables on both TVs: sound, but a black screen.

Comment

Ah, okay. If the N64 hasn't been upgraded to RGB, then no point in using the RGB cable (unless one of the TV's has a second scart socket which isn't RGB, then the RGB *may* work in composite mode). At the moment, the RGB cable is telling the TV to enable RGB, and the console isn't outputting it so that could be why it's displaying a black screen.

Does the composite cable work okay with the SFC?

I remember a post by Link83 showing the differences between the different Nintendo cables, including the fact that the composite cables that were supplied with PAL and NTSC consoles being slightly different, with components in the plug on the console end of the cable, not sure if that could cause the problem you're having though.

You've got quite a few Nintendo consoles, have you got anymore composite cables tucked away anywhere?

If you wanted to try cleaning the cart connector again, maybe try a piece of cardboard with a bit of thin cloth wrapped around it, and push it down in between the pins (probably don't use tissue etc as it could leave bits behind, maybe a glasses cleaning cloth, old t-shirt etc)

Pete

Comment

Composite works with SFC.

Tried composite cable from a JP Gamecube, same result. I have no PAL-consoles haha.

Tried the cardboard, wrapped some sunglasses cloth around it and managed to fit it down there, but still no video. Even tried cleaning the AV-out on the back of the N64 :/

Comment

Working...
                      X