Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiots guide to Projectors

Does anyone know of one???

I'm considering taking the leap to Projectors when we move later in the year & thought I'd start reading & trying to get my head round all the tech now so I know if it's worth it or not.

Looks like a bit of a minefield when you factor in the Screens etc. so worth getting up to speed early me thinks

Ta muchly

Neil

Aww, I was hoping this would *be* the idiots guide! I've a little experience but wouldn't mind pooling some of the mind juices from some of the more AV-minded folk either.

I started off with an Optoma HD700X, and even just up on a white wall (at about ~80") it was an instant and dramatic step up from any setup I'd been using before - and at that price, pretty much everyone I knew who saw it came away pondering where they could do something similar in their house. I've got a HD600X (with a 3D-XL box) now, but am considering upgrading to the HD300X once I'm settled into my new flat, as well as finally buying a screen. A friend gave me an excellent run-through of his experience with them, and pending any nasty surprises when it comes to measuring up I'm thinking of a fixed frame one at around about 100". Anyone have any particular recommends about brands, products, or even retailers for this kind of thing?

In short - I don't think I could ever go back to having a TV on its own - even without making allowances for them they give a wonderful, huge image.

Comment

Sorry to let you down Fuse

What you have souds pretty sweet though.
      I keep umming & aahing about a PJ over on AV Forums at the mo...guy was selling a Optoma HD200X for ?275 collected which seems pretty good for a starter PJ & then I'd be really tempted to grab the 3D XL to go with it as well like you have.

But I really can't be doing stuff like this till I decide where we are moving too next lol

The Screens are one of the things that confuse me the most there is just so much choice it's bewildering & I have no idea where to begin.
      I know I won't be going to mad to begin with I reckon something around 80" would do me fine but I'll cross all the bridges when I finally move.

Would be good to get some advice early though

Neil

Comment

My setup would be classed as budget.

Screen cost me $500 and is a fixed 120" matt white.
        Projector is an Epson 1080p model TW3500. $1800
        Accusing 5.1 floor standing speakers. $900
        Yamaha receiver ageing model. About $1000.

I did all the cabling and mounting myself. Took me 3 days. I measured it all several times before I whipped out the drill. Used various wall plates for video / audio connectors. I originally had a Panasonic 720p model projector which was nice but the new one is amazing for how much it costs.

From a DIY idiot who knew nothing about projectors myself I would check out projector central and their calculators etc... To work out throw distances, light output and so on. To be honest most home theatre projectors these days are fairly flexible with their placement options, zoom and keystone. Essentially you could put them anywhere depending on the model or at least you'll whittle down to what model suits your needs.

For me I have a square lounge and solid ceilings so the projecto is sat on the back wall on a shelf (Ikea tv variety).

Is it worth it? Oh yes. The bigger screen size is Immersive for movies but even more so for games. I don't know a single one of my friends that didn't start asking me questions when they played games on it. Two mates have since gained wife approval and gone the same route.

Bottom line is you don't have to spend a fortune to get great results. I think there is an upper ceiling where you enter enthusiast territory. For me a crisp picture, decent sound and good gaming resolutions is enough. If you want me to post pictures of my setup let me know.

Comment

Being a fellow tw3500 owner nonny, I'd like pics!

The projector central calculator is essential when looking at models, you don't want to buy one and then realise it won't fit where you want it. Plus you need to work out whether you'll be able to have it straight with the wall as if not you'll need lens shift, something I'm really sad they took out of all but the premium model in epsons new range...

Another thing you might want to look out for is whether dlp will annoy you with the rainbow effect, personally it never bothered me that much but now I use an LCD pj at home I can notice it more on the occasion I do watch a dlp.

Finally (for this post at least), whilst that HD200x sounds like a bargain, to my knowledge it is not compatible with the 3DXL buddy

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
            Being a fellow tw3500 owner nonny, I'd like pics!

The projector central calculator is essential when looking at models, you don't want to buy one and then realise it won't fit where you want it. Plus you need to work out whether you'll be able to have it straight with the wall as if not you'll need lens shift, something I'm really sad they took out of all but the premium model in epsons new range...

Another thing you might want to look out for is whether dlp will annoy you with the rainbow effect, personally it never bothered me that much but now I use an LCD pj at home I can notice it more on the occasion I do watch a dlp.

Finally (for this post at least), whilst that HD200x sounds like a bargain, to my knowledge it is not compatible with the 3DXL buddy
            Aw poo
            Just assumed all of them would work being as it's all Optoma kit

See this is why I need an idiots guide lol

Will have a read around that Projector Central site but I suppose it's all a bit pie in the sky till we move because what might work where we are probably won't were we move to

I read the Rainbow effect mostly only affects menus screens & static stuff but isn't really noticable during movies.

Will investigate everything first though

Neil

Comment

Rainbow effect is the opposite mate. Fast moving scenes it sort of blurs and leaves behind a trail of light that looks like a spectrum, or rainbow.

I can see it quite badly these days as my first projector (Infocus X1) was DLP with only a 2x colour wheel. That speed for the wheel turning made some real pretty rainbows!! I find most people don't notice them but once you do that's it and they're easier to spot. These days DLP have much better tech and faster colour wheels so it's less prominent.

You're right anyway. Probably getting ahead of yourself of you're planning this when you move & don't have any idea yet on the room size, ambient light and placement etc... That said it doesn't hurt to get up to speed.

The only thing I'd add is with screens. Fixed screens are great for a solo use room where the projector is the only display. This is what I've done. As they do roll up or lower from the ceiling they don't warp over time & last forever. Mine is basically a massive picture frame with the canvas stretched onto it and held with tough Velcro. It's an awesome design from a local brand.

If you were going to say have a flat tv on the wall & have a screen the drops in front for occasion use. Thats a different ball game. Then you have to look at pull down screens (electric or manual) and within that I would pay the price & get a decent one. There are cheap brands all over the place on eBay but these things warp, stretch and degrade by being constantly raised and lowered. The better brands have sturdier mechanisms and hold the screen flat at all times. Naturally if any screen does warp the image in it is affected and looks like wank. So in that piece you get what you pay for. :/

If you want a quick guide there is a local Aussie forum I go to on dtvforum.info. Check the projector section and there are a few sticky threads and guides.

Comment

I ordered an Optoma HD33 projector and one of their 106" motorised screens (DE-9106EGA) today.

I did a fair amount of research beforehand looking into the differences between LCD and DLP projectors and it came down to a choice between the LCD Epson range and Optoma's DLPs. Although the Epsons did get good reviews, everyone seems to rave on about how good the Optoma systems are. So it was then a choice between the HD300X in black or the slightly higher spec HD33 in white. Considering it's going to be stuck to the ceiling, I don't really care about the colour although white would probably blend in a little better.

However, the HD33 includes a pair of RF 3D glasses and the emitter, which are about 80 quid separately. So that's the one I went for considering its also a slightly higher spec and the difference in price I was offered was negligible once you add in the cost of the glasses and emitter.

What I didn't fully consider was the cost of the screen. Yeah, you can get cheap 106" ones for about a ton, but as nonny has suggested, they'll probably be ****. Optoma's Panoview screens are very highly regard, and they want to be for over 400 nicker. The do however have an IR receiver built into the casing which is rather handy and fully adjustable mounting brackets. So I can just whack a couple of very sizeable hooks into the (Landlord's living room) ceiling joists and hang the screen straight from them. Bonza.

Comment

Get a projector. They're the only way to really enjoy movies.

Just be warned: you will need to treat the room. You won't get a rich, contrast-y image if you're in a highly reflective room, because white or cream coloured surroundings will reflect back onto the screen.

They're not like TVs where you can place them in most surroundings and get a great result.

I actually have a 123" Da-lite Cinema Vision screen I'm letting go of soon...

Comment

Would be very interested to hear how you get on once it arrives _SD_ - as above, I'm considering a HD300X but may be swayed to the HD33 also. The bigger challenge for me is the screen though; I've been thinking fixed frame is the best answer, but it also sounds like it could be a nightmare to get up / align...

Comment

Pretty easy to fix a fixed screen. It's just an oversize picture frame so the same basics apply. Spirit level, mark it out etc...

I put mine up on my own without an extra pair of hands and didn't sweat it that much. They're actually pretty damn light weight.

Comment

I actually hang mine from the wall. They're not heavy.

Comment

Working...
                        X