HD CRT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD CRT?

HD CRTs have always intrigued me. So I want to hear people's impressions! Do you have one? How does it compare to modern LCDs/Plasmas, etc? How does it handle interlaced and retro consoles?

Retro consoles looked brilliant on them

They only do 480i so the best modern console would be the Wii because others can look better on modern tv's

Just got rid of my Panasonic TX-32PD30 for ?35 lol and it cost me ?2000

Dreamcast looked great on it

Comment

^ The OP was asking about HD CRTs, so they'd go up to 1080i, not 480i.

Whether or not the tube could actually resolve that number of lines, and all the way out to the edges too, is up for debate though.

Almost none were released in Europe, since HDTV appeared here so late.

Comment

That's not true, is it?

Samsung definitely released one..

Comment

Yeah, they did, late 2005 if I remember rightly. That's the only example I can remember.

Comment

I had the Samsung 'slim' one. Can't remember the model name, but I have a pic somewhere of my dog with it in the background! It was great at first, but went downhill rapidly. As we all know, most good crt's are still going strong, the image on this was a twisted mess in no time though.

EDIT: Er, yeah, that's the corner of it right there.

Last edited by Colin; 07-09-2012, 23:47.

Comment

That's the one.

I think Baseley had a JVC one or something.

Comment

Yes I recall there was a JVC one that could handle a higher resolution (833i?). As ikobo said, the Samsung Slimfit TV's were let down by the tubes. IIRC the Sony HQ100 had the same HD tube as some of the US models, but lacked an actual HD input (unless there was some way round the limitation).

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                  I had the Samsung 'slim' one. Can't remember the model name, but I have a pic somewhere of my dog with it in the background! It was great at first, but went downhill rapidly. As we all know, most good crt's are still going strong, the image on this was a twisted mess in no time though.
                  Care to elaborate? Is distortion over time a problem with CRTs in general? (I have no idea what you mean by this – I'm guessing!)

Comment

In the corners of the screen, the image became really distorted to the point it was unwatchable. Hard to explain without being able to show it. I ended up throwing mine in a skip.

Comment

I believe they were also a bit of a fire risk! Apparently there was a plug on the scan coils that could overheat and set the back cover on fire. If anyone still has one (unlikely) you should have it modified so the wires are soldered directly on. The later ones were modified anyway.

Comment

Toshiba made one, I'm quite sure of it. At least Toshiba 100% made a CRT with Component in, as I test drove it in Dixon's.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgamingfart View Post
                          Yes I recall there was a JVC one that could handle a higher resolution (833i?). As ikobo said, the Samsung Slimfit TV's were let down by the tubes. IIRC the Sony HQ100 had the same HD tube as some of the US models, but lacked an actual HD input (unless there was some way round the limitation).
                          I have a Sony 36HQ100 and its not HD, but the super fine pitch tube gives an almost HD picture

Comment

Working...
                          X