Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New HDD, Macbook4,1

Hello people,

I am going to get a new internal harddrive, because my current one is nearly full. I think I will get a 500GB to match my two external drives. I don't see much point in going bigger, as it has taken me 4 1/2 years to reach 250GB, so by the time I next need a new harddrive I suspect my Macbook will be on the way out, if not before.

I believe I can install any capacity size, provided it's a 2.5" SATA. Specs here, if someone would be kind enough to double check: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP5

My question is: where is it best to buy hard drives, price wise? Any brands I should avoid and why?

Many thanks, all!

Any 2.5" SATA 2 OR 3 should be fine. Ive put an old ps3 drive in s MacBook before. Don't fret over branding either just look for value for money. I'd shop at scan. Free postage for avforum members. Otherwise the postage can make them a bit deer compared to dabs.

Comment

Also get carbon copy software to back up entire system to new drive then just put new drive in MacBook for minimum fuss and downtime.

Comment

Thanks for the Scan tip. Unfortunately it's a minimum order of ?50 and there's a ?45 drive. Luckily it's much the same including delivery on Dabs.

Comment

Actually this one on Amazon is just ?33 plus delivery. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HM50...1259905&sr=1-1

Is it worth using carbon copy over TM backup and restore?

Comment

Get the Samsung mate.

Never used Time Machine backup so I can't comment on that. Carbon Copy Cloner is free and I have used it many times. If you choose the right settings it'll make sure that your new drive is bootable straight away too. Try to get one of the little SATA->USB cables, that way you can check that your backup is bootable and working by booting from it (hold ALT key down during startup and choose the new external drive) before swapping it for the internal.

Comment

Working...
            X