Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In which case, get the Panasonic. All the numbers are bigger which is probably better

Comment

Guys probably a stupid question here but should I really be paying much attention to the refresh rates when looking at a new telly?
      No. They're all LCD so therefore will all be bad with games. Keep in mind that the motion improving technology is unusable for video game usage due to the high input lag.

All sample-and-hold displays (LCD, OLED) will perform poorly with motion clarity in their fastest modes, particularly visible with 60fps games. The only way to see these clearly is to use an impulse-type display (CRT or PDP).

Comment

Just wondering i need a little tv for my consoles. But my dad got a pretty cheap ips monitor i was amazed how good the picture was and was wondering would monitors be good for consoles ? Here is a link http://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-i2367Fm-.../dp/B00FV2TQAM
        Last edited by eastyy; 01-01-2015, 17:13.

Comment

I picked up a ips monitor for m y work desk, but also use it for gaming on my Xbox. Works lovely over hemisphere, but sound is terrible. No discernable lag.

*edit* And that's what you get for not proof reading your autocorrected text.
          Last edited by k0pp0; 02-01-2015, 08:48.

Comment

Just got a 49jl9000 TV. It's John Lewis own brand but it's actually a high end LG IPS based TV with a bunch of extra bits added on. Bargain for 615 quid (after wife's JL discount) and replaces a 33-inch 4:3 CRT (yeah way behind the curve, no modern screen tech in my living room before!).

Wii U looks lovely and just got a PS4 for Xmas and that looks amazing.

Comment

I'm recommending my friend the Samsung UE40H5500. It has a stellar review (9/10) from AVForums.

Comment

My Pany turned up today.Lovely looking panel.PS4 and xbox one look superb.The 3d on this tv looks a lot better than my last 3d panel.Really vibrant colours and resolution.
                Ive downloaded Panasonic's 4K app with various videos and some look superb,others look so so.The nature one with the forest and monkeys in 4k has lush detail
                Overall,well impressed roll on 4k bluray players later this year

Comment

Haha, yeah I've just this week gone HD and already I'm out of date! You guys and your 4k tvs...

Comment

4k is old news, 8k in the Middle East and Japan this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
                      4k is old news, 8k in the Middle East and Japan this year.
                      To me it's getting a bit silly,how fast they are pushing technology.True 4K bluray players aren't out till towards the end of this year.Both Xbox one and PS4 can't do 4K and now 8K???

Comment

I got the Sony KD-55X8505B at the weekend.

I was very sceptical about making the change to led from plasma as I have used the latter for over 10 years now. I'm pleased I did make the jump now as it looks stunning.

Comment

Well used my Netflix app to take a gander at their 4k streaming.I looked at both Breaking Bad and House Of Cards being streamed in 4k.
                          Well to say I'm not impressed is an understatement,Jesus they both look ****e.Backround noise and poor compression artefact and an overall shocking picture
                          Had anybody here tried 4k Netflix?
                          Last edited by BIG EDD; 12-01-2015, 00:18.

Comment

I haven't, but their 1080p picture is so compressed that I'm not really surprised.

Interesting to see at CES this year that LG are now the sole maker of OLED sets, with even Samsung having thrown in the towel on the technology. Quantum dot tech is offering yet another boost to LCD, but reports from the pundits that I read seemed to indicate that OLED continues to boast the better picture quality. Just a shame the yields are so poor on OLED panels, at as low as 20% I think they're just totally unprofitable. Particular with how TV prices have gone through the floor over the last few years - 50" sets available for ?399 etc.

I do hope LG continue to make OLEDs - when I eventually move from my Panasonic plasma I'd very much like it to be to a 4K OLED (flat, not curved).

Also interesting that 3D technology has now been comprehensively dropped. None of the TVs at CES seemed to contain the feature - fairly unsurprising really considering the technology is flawed in so many ways. It was never really more than a novelty - I've probably used the 3D on my TV no more than half a dozen times in the last two years. I did play Mortal Kombat 9 in 3D for the first time the other day though and it was actually pretty awesome (compared to most of the 3D-compatible games I've tried, which turn into juddery crosstalky messes). Kind of a shame there's no real chance they will bother implementing it into MK:X later this year.

Comment

What speed is your connection BIG EDD?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                What speed is your connection BIG EDD?
                                I've got BT infinity Charles averaging 70mbps.Netflix claims a minimum of 15mbps.
                                As mentioned by Wakka,their 1080p streams look suspect.Its sad when you have 4k videos on YouTube,that make their 4k streams look awful and over priced

Comment

Working...
                                X