This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Maybe I'm being dumb but if you just have an OLED panel on its own that's not going to do much of anything?

You will still need all the picture processing hardware, not to mention the PSU.

I would look at the LG G series Charles. It's designed to have a uniform thickness for wall mounting.

That's the sort of thing I meant. Didn't realise that one existed.

Comment

@charlesr something to consider is that the Samsung Frame folds flush, as requested, but there's also a One Connect box,
      so there's one subtle cable linking to the television, but you can connect other devices later if you want into the One Connect box, rather than being reliant on one HDMI for everything:

Comment

Yep that is probably the slinkiest one around for wall mounting.

Big trade-off on picture quality versus an OLED is the issue.

Comment

Yep that is probably the slinkiest one around for wall mounting.

Big trade-off on picture quality versus an OLED is the issue.
          Didn't realise that was an issue, cheers:

To be fair, Chaz only wants to watch reruns of The A-Team on Forces TV, so definition is not really an issue.

Comment

Comment

The TV went back at the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                The TV went back at the weekend.
                Is that the one that got humped by a gorilla?

Comment

Nah. It was perfect, though I can see how primate sexual activity might get you going Mr. Chimp.

It was great but they dropped the price on Black Friday by 4100DKK (about 460 quid) and they wouldn't give me anything back, despite only having it for 3 weeks.

So, I exercised my 30 day right of return and ordered one for the Black Friday price from a competitor. Cha-chinga Chimpy!
                  Last edited by gunrock; 01-12-2021, 18:46.

Comment

Oh wow, brill!

Bet they were happy to see you with a kong-humped telly in one hand and a receipt in the other!
                    Now they have to resell it to some other sucker, ha!

Serves them right for not playing ball.

You deserve something nice, mate, so don't compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      You deserve something nice, mate, so don't compromise.
                      Aw, thanks mate. It's because I'm worth it! <flicks hair and tries to look seductive as camera zooms, cut jumps and soft-focuses out>

Comment

Looks like I need to start picking a new TV, as the fault with ours (it turns off at random intervals) has come back and is now much more severe. Panasonic LCD, admittedly though it's 10 years old so I can live with that.

Bit of a nightmare as I'm seeing so many complaints these days of things like TVs with ads in the interface (that straight up refuse to work if you don't connect them to the internet).

Where are TVs at, right now? I use mine for movies and gaming. I went with LCD before instead of plasma because I sometimes run a PC through it, and on plasmas back then, a white interface element in Windows would always look kinda grey (it was more important to me the image would look good in a well lit room).

So it was generally that LCD was brighter and sharper, but plasma had better contrast ratio and motion.

Has that been overcome now? Do new technologies do both? I also don't care about 3D, and I only run HD devices.

Comment

Buy a LG OLED TV. Has everything you need for gaming and movies. If you look around you might be lucky enough to get one of last year’s model at a serious discount.

Comment

3D is long discontinued and every TV except the cheapest £200 supermarket specials now offer 4K resolution.

Your main choice is between LCD/LED/QLED (broadly the same thing) and OLED. OLED offers perfect blacks and better contrast. LCD/LED/QLED can, in higher end sets, offer substantially higher brightness.

Most people prefer OLED now. Expect to pay about £800 to £1000 for an entry level 55”.

Comment

Your main choice is between LCD/LED/QLED (broadly the same thing) and OLED. OLED offers perfect blacks and better contrast. LCD/LED/QLED can, in higher end sets, offer substantially higher brightness.
                              Or maybe not seeing as Samsung have been found cheating on benchmarks for these things. The benefits of OLED far outweigh anything LCD TVs can offer.

Comment

I wouldn’t be able to go back to non-OLED. I just took our old 55” 4K LED upstairs to pair with my PC and MiSTer (instead of selling it - it’s a great gaming set), but I want to upgrade it now!

Comment

Working...
                                X