Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But what was the cause of the way off acceptable colour if not the LED technology? I have LCD monitors and, as said, used a cheap-ish SD LCD and HD LCD and it must be getting on for 20 CRT TVs and whilst colour problems can occur over time I've never had any colour screen that couldn't display primary reds correctly from new.

I'm beginning to think the Sharp TV itself must have been at fault but it would be a huge gamble to re-buy it or a similar one just to test that theory.

Comment

There are loads of TVs that use LED lighting. Thousands of different models. It's not inherently a flawed technology. Could have been a faulty set. Could just be an incredibly badly made and designed TV. This is the proper budget end of the market. QC is not going to be great.

It shouldn't be a huge gamble to buy a TV for testing purposes as long as you buy from somewhere with a decent returns policy. A bit of a hassle, maybe.

Ultimately all you can do is try either the same set again to see if it's any better, a different set with RGB SCART (if you can find one), or combine a non-SCART set and an OSSC or other external scaling product. Those are the three options pretty much.

Comment

I'm looking at a Panasonic 32" TV which, according to Panasonic's own web site includes a SCART socket.

LED too and about £20 more expensive than the Sharp. I can not find any particularly negative reviews except for a certain dislike of the Remote.

Explore the Panasonic TX-32G310B - Televisions - The 32” G310 is an ideal small screen television, offering a wide range of the most popular TV channels from Freeview, with HD resolution ready to show off enhanced sharpness and detail.

It is obviously an 'entry level' HD WS TV but as I don't have the room for anything bigger and better at this screen size simply means added 'SMART', which I don't want let alone need, it looks like a contender.

Comment

Certainly looks worth a try. Lots of positive feedback in user reviews on John Lewis's page for it. I would go for it, it will be easy enough to return there if you aren't happy.

If you find the set generally satisfactory but feel like might want to try to zhuzh your picture from your retro consoles in future, you could always keep an eye out for a used OSSC at a good price to give that a try, too.

Comment

Why is this so cheap? https://www.currys.co.uk/products/sa...-10221729.html

Comment

No Idea but it is a huge price drop for a beast of a TV.

Something that size would just look obscene in my 12'x15' lounge, taking up over half the width of the wall - I'll have to think about it.

Comment

A few things:

1) TVs are just insanely cheap these days. A mate just bought a 65" LCD for his bedroom (lol) for $300 (he's US-based).

2) It's a QLED, which is not nearly as good as an OLED although it has a confusingly similar name. It's basically a type of LCD.

3) TV prices are routinely dropped 50% or more from RRP, especially when they are more than a year old (that's a 2021 model).

Comment

Gone! I presume you lot bought it

Comment

I've just bought the 32" Panasonic I was talking about earlier. I have issues with it but not because of its performance - it is because Amazon clearly sent me a Return. It is, arguably, 'As New' but I bought at full price and it is not a genuinely new TV. The outside box packaging was amateurishly retaped, the internal packaging opened and most damming the remote had the batteries installed and they were completely drained.

This reselling of a returned item as new should be illegal IMHO or made clear and put on sale at a significant (10+%) discount.

Anyway as far as the Panasonic's PQ goes it is far better than the Sharp TV I returned. It has more natural colours at the default settings and none of those weird magenta reds. Fairly happy so far with it but its very early days.

Only criticism I'd have is with its Freeview EPG; its OK but the fact the Favourites list seems is limited to just 4 TV channel entries is maddening. With the almost 20 year old digital STBs I have been using with CRTs I can renumber the whole Freeview EPG as a Favourities list. That is exceptionally useful when there are 164 digital TV/radio channels to choose from and less than half of them them are of any interest.

One of the main reasons I wanted a new TV was because that STB isn't shielded and gets regular interference from 4G/5G mobiles. It is also SD only (SCART RGB). But if it was not for that I'd probably still use it with the new TV because of that Favourites listing feature.

Comment

I think I'm actually gonna go with QLED, despite the concerns! I'll elaborate later. But I'm gonna go have a look at the different models over this weekend and try to make a decision.

Comment

Buying a TV's such a pain innit

I think it's because you're going into something with the full understanding that you're not going to get the best thing ever. Everything is a compromise; but you have to pick which things you can compromise on.

I'm looking to get a 65" TV for ~£1000, and I'm not a cinephile/audiophile. I learned that back when I bought my existing LCD when everyone was telling me to get Plasma. But it's soooo easy when looking at reviews to slide one model up, then another, then to this year's instead of last years and suddenly you're looking at spending £2300.

Looking to go with Samsung QLED or NeoQLED because (1) I use my TV quite a lot during the day and (2) because they're expected to have a longer service life; my existing Panasonic LCD is ~10 years old now and I'm hoping to have the next TV last as long.

Comment

Yep, I agree - there is never just one make/model/type that has all the features you want or you find lets itself down in a particular area. You always have to compromise.

Then there is also the cost element that, for most people, will further limit your choices too.

Comment

I ended up going for this one:

The Samsung QN90B QLED is a premium 4k TV that replaces the Samsung QN90A QLED and is available in 43 to 85-inch sizes. This TV is part of Samsung's 2022 lineup,...

Seemed good for my purposes, given that I specifically didn't want OLED, and Richer Sounds had a good offer on-the-go.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              I ended up going for this one:

The Samsung QN90B QLED is a premium 4k TV that replaces the Samsung QN90A QLED and is available in 43 to 85-inch sizes. This TV is part of Samsung's 2022 lineup,...

Seemed good for my purposes, given that I specifically didn't want OLED, and Richer Sounds had a good offer on-the-go.
                              Good call. My LG has all the features of the highly praised C series but uses an IPS type panel featuring LG's version of the system that Samsung is using. Think they call it Nano LCD or something.
                              I've got the VRR (a must), Blackframe Inserion, HDR12, 120Htz at 4K and Dolby vision and Atmos audio. All for 60,000 yen less than the OLED equivalent.
                              I know OLED will give far better blacks but still, I can live with that considering the saving.

Comment

Does anyone have any particular pointers when it comes to choosing a new screen, it's been so long since I needed to buy a new unit I'm feeling a little bit behind the curve.

back story is that I've had the same screen unit since its was launched, and its a Sony bravia, top spec 16years (or so) ago and it's been great. I set it up with a colour monkey and picture is still great now but the house we are looking to get into will have two rooms use so I'm thinking of a second screen and letting the kids have full reign of the current unit.

Use wise its films and motorsport for me along with games (older gen xb1 and older) and the pc linked. I dont care for any audio onboard as everything goes out to the hifi.

So the question; do i start digging into TVs or large monitors? I haven't used the tuner part of a TV in well over two decades as its cable or sky in the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X