This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm looking for a new tv I guess.
    Wasn't planning on doing this so soon, but after hearing that Panasonic is going to stop making plasma sets even sooner than first reported (now December), I'd better make the jump as they are still easy to get.

Still enjoying my 46" one that I got a couple of years ago, thanks to Lyris his advice and to be honest, due to this I'm very reluctant to take any advice from somewhere else for this new set.

I'm looking at the TX-P65VT50E since I can get a good price for it at one store. But if this one isn't all that good for my needs I will be glad to look for another one. Both 60 or 65" models are fine with me.

My main concern in input lag. Not just for new games and consoles, but for my retro systems as well.
    I plan on getting a new Framemeister in the future though, but still.
    The TV will be used for playing games and watching bluray movies, and very little else.

I realise that the TX-P60ZT60 is probably the superior model, but it seems to be very hard to come by, not to mention almost double as much as what the VT50 would cost. So I'm not sure if the high price would really be justified.

Comment

The new 60 range is a big improvement in many areas.

I would hold out.

Comment

Oh, in my hurry to look though the price comparisons I seem to have clicked on one that was mislabelled, thus giving it a €500 pricing difference.

I copied the name from the site that linked to it, while I was actually looking at the TX-P65VT60E.
        The price between this model and the ZT60 doesn't seem to be that big then.
        Glad it was caught before I ordered the wrong model.

Comment

Get one of the 60-series Panasonics while they're decently priced.

It's your last chance to own a Panasonic plasma

Comment

I know.

I was planning getting a bigger one sometime next year when I finally find a new home and sell the one I live in now. The old one will go to the bedroom or hobby room or something.
            But I don't want to take the risk of waiting too long and have the sets disappear from retail before I was able to grab one.
            So I'll be keeping it in it's box for a couple of months till I get my new place. That is, if I can resist the urge to install it.

I looked it up and I'm able to order the TX-P65VT60E from a local shop for a local shop for €3500.

The TX-P60ZT60 on the other hand can't be bought locally it seems and the only online store I can find in the Benelux is located in the Netherlands. So I'm not sure how things would turn out in case of needing to use the warranty and such if it ever comes to that.

Are there any major advantages to the ZT model that would make me not go for the VT60?

Comment

Are there any major advantages to the ZT model that would make me not go for the VT60?
              No, the only advantage is the panel being bonded to the front glass to kill internal reflections, which are only really an issue at extreme off-angle positions with white objects on a black background. The AR coating is I think slightly better too on the ZT.

VT would be my choice.

Comment

I dont know... i still think the Latest pannys are way too dark. inky blacks are all well and good, but not at the expense of a natural looking greyscale.

I like to see some details in dark clothing, hair etc.

Of course this is purely from my experience with th ST50, which just looked like it was missing about 20% of the image thanks to the ridiculously dark overcast, even in 2.2/2.4 gamma etc.

I actually rated my phd8 better for this reason alone.

The scaler was well overrated too.
                Last edited by PaTaito; 01-11-2013, 22:11.

Comment

The 50 series was very poor in the amount of light it could put out, and because of that I found it to do exactly as you say.
                  Once calibrated it actually looked a lot brighter, but still didn't have enough pop for me, and by that I want the blacks to be inky and the whites to be nice and bright, but also to be the same whether it is a 10% window or a 100% window, and with a 100% white window I found it struggled. Just couldn't go bright enough.

I loved my PHD8, I still have one.
                  I actually took my Pioneer 500M out of the front room and put the PHD8 back in there as I thought it was a better set in many areas.

Comment

Bit late with the reply. Sorry.
                    But thanks for the advice. I'll be going to the local store tomorrow and ordering a TX-P65VT60.

Comment

I have a panny 55vt65b; a huge upgrade from led/lcd

Comment

Oh no surprise there. My sister has a used to have a Samsung plasma, but it looked nowhere near my old Panasonic one.
                        My best friend has an LG LED tv, but again, I don't like it at all compared to the one that was recommended to me a couple of years ago.

Ordered the new one today, so now we play the waiting game.
                        Hopefully I'll have it before the PS4 release.

Comment

Daughter left plasma on (2012 Samsung) for about 6 hours sat on the Netflix menu. Turned TV on this morning and there's burn in. Will this disappear eventually?

Comment

Should do, yes. (Didn't a screen saver kick in?)

Comment

Cheers. No it didn't. I'll check the settings!

Comment

Slightly related, looking at a new set myself, 40-45". Done a bit of web browsing this seemed to be the best bet-Panasonic TX-P42ST60.

Never had a plasma before, Lyris is this set really as good as reviewers make it out to be? Brad, how are you finding your plasma (apart from the recent screen burn!!)

Comment

Working...
                                X