Official XB360 VGA cable no S/PDIF audio out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official XB360 VGA cable no S/PDIF audio out

Was anybody aware here that MS have changed their XB360 VGA cable plug design so that it now no longer features a TOSLink optical audio out socket? It does still has the stereo audio RCA/Phono leads.

What's annoying is that until you open the box you won't know about the change as the pictogram on the back still shows the old, off-set XB360 plug, off-set because of the TOSLink socket located alongside the main cable.

I won't say I've wasted my money buying this cable because it could be useful in the future. But because I want to use TOSLink for the audio it means I'm going to have to work out another cabling solution with the unwelcome additional costs that means.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 05-12-2012, 12:02.

I guess they changed it as 360s from the last 3 years have had an optical out built into them.

Comment

I've only had my XB360 two years but as you say the newer ones with a separate S/PDIF socket are the motivation for the change in design, But was that change a good idea or even necessary? Apart from the now redundant TOSLink socket the old design works with the newer XB360 just as well.

Unless there is some significant financial benefit in its manufacturing all they've done in redesigning the cable is exclude any owner of an old XB360 who wants VGA + S/PDIF. That supposes the potential buyer even realised there had been a redesign. Cynical old me begins to wonder about the reasons for the unchanged pictogram of the XB360 plug used on the packaging.

Anyway now I'm probably going be spending my money on a non-MS alternative. MS's loss - I pity the fools.
      Last edited by fallenangle; 05-12-2012, 12:05.

Comment

My old VGA cable only had the phono leads, I was sure it was official- bought it years ago. A bit confused.

Comment

My official original design VGA cable has S/PDIF.

Comment

Before purchase my searches that threw up links to what were described as "Official XB360 console VGA cables" or similarly disingenuous wording. Most were definitely not the official MS ones. Ironically all the non-official ones I've found do have S/PDIF optical audio out sockets.

I actually had difficulty finding definitive confirmation that the genuine MS XB360 VGA did have S/PDIF because there were so many so called "official" cables being sold out there. I did eventually find that confirmation from several different sources and also made sure I was buying the genuine article by getting it direct from Amazon (?17.99).

As I indicated earlier nowhere did I find any information that the design had been changed although, to be fair, the Amazon listing did not say anything about S/PDIF connectivity. However some user reviews attached to the listing do but, of course, they must have been refering to the original version. Since the packaging is the same or looks the same blame can not be levelled at Amazon. How could they or any other retailer know the designed had changed?

shinobi7000 I suppose there is a possibility that were were earlier MS XB360 VGA which didn't include S/PDIF. But, excluding high quality fakes, it should be easy to identify if what you have is a genuine MS cable. All the various official MS Xbox/XB360 cable plugs or adapters I own have embedded "Microsoft Corporation" labels. So if your one doesn't it is most likely not an official MS cable.
            Last edited by fallenangle; 05-12-2012, 12:07.

Comment

I checked, I haven't used the lead or the 360 for ages. It does have the S/PDIF output, since I never used that output I forgot it was on the larger plug and not a separate cable or something. Sorry for the confusion. I have almost every 360 cable possible, I wonder why I keep this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                My official original design VGA cable has S/PDIF.
                I had one on launch day, it was a grey cable with the optical out on it.

This a picture of the current official one

It's black to match the S consoles and doesn't have the optical out..
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 05-12-2012, 19:33.

Comment

Yup. Was just responding to shinobi really. I can understand why the new one doesn't have it.

I'd offer a swap but that costs postage innit.

Comment

Yep that ^ is MS VGA cable version I have. I've already ordered a non-MS VGA using the same eBay seller I bought a non-MS XB360 Component cable from two years ago. That Component cable turned out to be surprisingly good despite being very cheap, The build quality is fine and I can't see any PQ difference in comparison with the official MS one I bought later. No inteference, ghosting or anything like that. I just hope the non-MS VGA is as good too.

Comment

Yeah, it's hit and miss.

For piece of mind I'd go for an official but I've used unofficial briefly with no fault.

Comment

Working...
                      X