XBox360 connected to a monitor's Displayport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBox360 connected to a monitor's Displayport

Is anyone here successfully using a XB360 with a monitor's Displayport connection ie. HDMI > Displayport?

If so please explain how you do it.

I think that the monitor's DisplayPort must be of the dual-mode variety to be fully compatible with HDMI. I gather you've already tried with a simple passive adaptor?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Yes and all that happened was the XB360 behaved as if it wasn't attached to a monitor.

I suppose it could be a faulty adapter but it seems unlikely. The Displayport > HDMI adapter is recognised by my Dell U2412M monitor and the XB360's HDMI output definitely is OK as I can connect it without problem to the monitor's DVI-D input (HDMI compliant). But put the two together and .....nothing.

From what I've read online Displayport is supposed to be HDCP compliant like HDMI and the only major difference apparently is the voltages used. Whatever it is I thought a passive adapter would sort that out but it appears not.

The most believable advice I've received elsewhere suggests that such adapters are not either bi-directional and/or don't provide the right 'handshake' ie. they'll work for Displayport output > HDMI monitor but not visa versa. For that I'd need a much more costly active HDMI > Displayport monitor adapter.

I was looking for a cheap, simple solution so it looks as if I'll have to use DVI-D or VGA x2 adapters instead if I want to connect all the things I have to the monitor.
      Last edited by fallenangle; 18-12-2012, 12:25.

Comment

If you have one available, I'd try with an active adapter, though I had problems getting a DP-DVI active adapter to work in a 3 monitors environment.
        Why not connecting the X360 to the DVI and the PC (I suppose) to the DP with the adapter? IIRC the X360 has an official VGA cable, won't be as clean as a digital output but probably it will save you some money and headaches.

Comment

As said an active adapter, which may or may not work, is just too expensive a solution.When I finally get my self-build desktop PC up and running its GPU does have 2x Displayport (mini) outputs but I wanted to use the DVI-D out to the monitor's HDMI compliant DVI-D in case there was any HDCP issues using Displayport connections. I don't want to be swapping cables every time I want to watch a Blu-Ray or whatever. I am currently using a VGA (official one) for the XB360 and am very happy with it. But I have discovered I can use my original Xboxes/PS2/GC via a VGA adapter and the monitor's YPbPr compatibility. I also wanted to include a DC via VGA later and sometime maybe even a PS3 somewhere in the mix. A free VGA socket would also be useful for attaching my laptop too.So with the monitor's VGA being so very much occupied and the DVI-D reserved for the PC it would have been very convenient to use Displayport for the XB360. But it looks like I'm going to have to buy a DVI-D x2 extension instead.

Comment

Working...
          X