Faulty PC Engine Core Grafx Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty PC Engine Core Grafx Console

I got a console, pad and a game for next to nothing as it was untested and had no cables. I dug out a multi-purpose ac adapter and bought this AV cable, which should work with the PCE so I read online. I've tried plugging the av cable directly into the RCA sockets on the front of my Sony Trinitron TV and also into the scart socket using a scart block, but neither method gave me a picture.

I'm guessing either:
    a) the console is not powering up (no led to know it's on)
    b) the av cable is faulty/not compatible

How can I work out what's wrong?

You could open it up to check the soldering? If you're lucky you might just have to resolder the socket connector bits (not an expert here).

Comment

You're correct in assuming that it should work. My PCE takes a while to relay composite video sometimes though so give it a few fiddles and turning the TV on and off.

If that doesn't work then check the fuse inside the machine near the voltage transformer, very easy to replace if it's blown.

Also, is your AC adaptor center negative or positive - you want negative! If not that could have blown the fuse (?) I think, which would explain no video.

A PAL SNES and MD PSU would work fine. Also an Atari Jag PSU.. Anything around 9v - 12v at around 650 mA or greater. It MUST be center negative though.

If you're not so sure I have a spare fuse so I'd repair it for you if you posted it to me and provide return postage cost. I have all other hookups.

Beauty of my Turbo Everdrive is that it has a power LED, so you can tell if a machine is working without having a video output plugged in.
      Last edited by speedlolita; 15-12-2012, 11:46.

Comment

Thanks speedy, have given it a thorough fiddle and still no joy. I'll test it with some different cables in the week, but I may well take you up on your fuse offer if you don't mind. I have no way to open the casing and no fuses even if I could.

Comment

Well just shoot me a PM. The pinout matches so the cable should be fine as stated previously.

Comment

A fuse wont blow for reverse polarity. You'd also hope the design incorporates some kind of reverse polarity protection in the form of diodes.

Comment

Right, my bad.

Comment

Good news. Appears to simply be a dodgy AV port.

Using my dodgy RGB SCART cable I made that uses the EXT port the PCE give a clear picture.

I'll resolder the AV port and report back, my own first party composite cable doesn't work with it currently.

EDIT: Actually, not so good new, the PCB is cracked! Dodgy indeed.

Last edited by speedlolita; 24-12-2012, 17:32.

Comment

Luckily it looks like there arent too many fine copper traces that have been broken. Would it be possible to epoxy it together and then bridge all of the broken copper?

I've done it before on numerous occasions with amps and other consoles. Never seen the inside of a PC Engine though so I could be talking absolute rubbish.

Comment

Quite possibly, although there's very fine traces on the other side of the PCB that are broken.

I've let acidbearboy know that it may not work with say a CD-rom unit in future, but I'll glue the board back and solder the EXT pin points to the AV port so that it works as a basic HuCard machine. Seems to work fine with just HuCard.

Comment

Working...
                    X