No announcement yet.

Numbers vs. Excel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having been subjected to Mac Office 2011 for the last six months because we use all Apple stuff at work, it does a few things different to the Windows versions, but is certainly a lot better than 2008. Anything was better than 2008. I'd still go with it over Numbers.
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread but:

I'm using NeoOffice at the moment. I never bothered with Office on Mac because, for what I've been doing, Open/NeoOffice was just fine, if a little (or, at times, extremely) fiddly.

I do have Office 2007 in a VM for emergencies but I'm having to use NO a lot for my course and it's annoying me. Has anyone tried NeoOffice 3.3? It's been rewritten and is supposedly better. It's only ?6 so I'm considering buying it anyway in case it is good. Alternatively there's OpenOffice and this LibreOffice. Crikey!

:update: Just paid the ?6 for NO 3.3. Hope it's decent...
      Last edited by randombs; 20-01-2013, 22:21.

Comment

Well I hear it's good Bill, but it's no Ridge Racer 7.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I use open office on pc and mac and its pretty decent for free ware, gets the job done.

One thing I've been told about numbers is that if you have thousands of formulas liked in heavy ways across multiple sheets It tends to fall on its arse, where as excel will stand up to no matter what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            Having been subjected to Mac Office 2011 for the last six months because we use all Apple stuff at work, it does a few things different to the Windows versions, but is certainly a lot better than 2008. Anything was better than 2008. I'd still go with it over Numbers.
            One thing which isn't better is licensing. There's no way to uninstall and then reinstall on another mac. MS completely forgot about this scenario. I have a paid-for license for Office 2011 but I've had to use a version from piratebay one my new macbook. Outlook is way better than Entourage though.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
              You can do some pretty fancy things in Excel with VBA.
              You shouldn't but lots of people do....
              I mess around with VBA and I have found that Excel for Mac does not handle the code correctly. I wrote some code on my Macbook in Excel and I couldn't get it to work. I tried and tried and scratched my head about it for a couple of days. Finally I copied the code to a text doc and transferred it to Excel on my PC and it worked just fine. Other than that I haven't seen a single function in Excel for Mac that doesn't work correctly, just VBA.

Comment

Working...
              X