Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best headphones for general listening for ?100 or under?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best headphones for general listening for ?100 or under?

I'm looking to get myself some decent, long-lasting headphones for my ipod. I've had a browse myself (basically the highest rated on amazon) and I've found these two pairs:

These seem to be pretty much the top rated on Amazon for the price bracket I was looking at, so even though they go 96p over my maximum limit, I'm tempted. Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRRF86...pr_product_top

On the other hand wireless headphones sound like a good idea. Cables are annoying and if these actually work (which I'm suspicious about) I think for convenience's sake I'd get these.
    - I now realise these aren't suitable for portable use. Whoops

If anyone can recommend any other quality headphones for around this same price range I'd be very grateful.
    Last edited by danstan21; 02-02-2013, 13:12.

Sony MDR-V6.

Comment

Okay, so not in your price range new, but if you're looking for the value closed-back, I can't tell you how much joy I get from my Shure SRH840s.

Why not go over to head-fi and pick up a good second-hand pair?

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 is also in the mix at that range, but I feel the Shures are simply better, in terms of sound and comfort.

Comment

I was reccomended these by Speedy and they are superb, save yourself the ?60

make sure you get a Fiio amp to boost the piss poor ipod/phone amplifier I use a cheap E5 does the job

AKG K450 Review for you

Versatile portable on-ears that sound amazing for the money. Headphones Product of the Year, Awards 2011
        Last edited by ETC; 02-02-2013, 14:29.

Comment

Oh, if you're using them with an iPod then you'll want something.. Easier to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            Oh, if you're using them with an iPod then you'll want something.. Easier to drive.
            Iphone5 but I tend to use a F11 with that

Sorry Danstan for the little derailment

Comment

Was referring to earlier suggestions really.

But yes, damn EU volume limit.

Comment

Originally posted by ETC View Post
                I was reccomended these by Speedy and they are superb, save yourself the ?60

make sure you get a Fiio amp to boost the piss poor ipod/phone amplifier I use a cheap E5 does the job

AKG K450 Review for you

http://www.whathifi.com/review/k450
                Maybe good for the price, but not in the same ballpark as the Shures or Senns mentioned ^^^.

Comment

Maybe a tad over ?100 but the Sennheiser hd558....next.

Comment

EDIT: just saw you want these for iPod, so presumably portable. In that case disregard, you probably don't want a pair of ear cans with a heavy cord!

I use a pair of Sony Professional MDR-7506s.

I don't know how true to flat response they are because I don't have a way of measuring them, but I like the sound a lot. There's bass but it's not too boomy, etc.

You can often see headphones from this range in use in broadcasting.

Comment

iGrado (?55) if you like neckband style phones or their regular equivalent the Grado SR60i (?105). You should be able to find them cheaper though.

Grado UK is the UK distributor of Grado Labs headphones - industry leading headphones, earphones and accoessories. Grado Labs are leaders in their field

Comment

iGrado maybe, but not proper Grado. They're highly uncomfortable and leak sound like nobody's business.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, was all valuable for making an informed decision! I'm sorry to say that in the end I didn't go for any of the suggestions here - I was in Westfield today so I tried out some of the headphones in the apple store and I rather liked the Logitech UE4000 due to their form factor (pretty slim so easy to carry around) as well as sound quality, so after I got home I went and bought them off Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                            iGrado maybe, but not proper Grado. They're highly uncomfortable and leak sound like nobody's business.
                            Granted not everyone likes the open back style of headphone but it gives a nice wide soundstage. And for the money the iGrado is unmatched. I would still be using them if I didn't keep breaking the cables.

Comment

Oh I love open back, my point being that they wouldn't be great for portable use.

Comment

Working...
                              X