No announcement yet.

Worth getting NTSC-J XBOX360?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darkstalkers Ressurection is getting an XBLA/PSN release over here, it's just in Japan where they're sticking it on a disc. Phantom Breaker isn't great - some obscure US publisher was meant to be releasing it state-side but that seems to have fallen on its face too - Ougon Musou X seems the much better game if you're after a fighter. SaiDaiOuJou just had its release date confirmed the other day - May 30th.

Comment

Ah ok well that makes it easier to get the Darkstalkers game then so ignore that one.

I haven't bought a Fighter in ages...still more than happy with SFIV when the urge takes me so will just skip them really.

Thanks for the info on SaiDaiOuJou.
      Found it on NCSX for $84
      Will probably wait till Play-Asia get it listed then pre-order from there.

NCSX actually have it listed as the last Cave game for the 360
      I was still hoping we'd see a collection released of Espa & Ibara but that looks unlikely now.

Wonder if they'll decide to release anything on the next console's??

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
        i have a japanese xbox and at the time i thought it was a wise move however the games i originally bought it for like death smiles/senko no ronde /arcana heart 3 and a few others have got a pal release (though the sequels to death smiles and senko no ronde didnt )

I used the same step down converter as my dc it seemed to work alright

Pros
        Still some japanese only games out there such as death smiles XII and ougen musou x for examples
        U can access europe xbox live account
        Asian version games tend to be cheaper and still english language

Cons
        japanese only games (not the asian releases ) are really really expensive more so with the niche ones like the shooters.
        If there is no asian release then will probably be stuck with japanese text (one example i think is eternal sonata which was released in the west but region locked so i could never play it).
        while download xbox live arcade games is fine some games on demand are region locked.
        Some xbla games when downloaded on a japanese/asian machine revert to japanese text such as marvel vs capcom 2

i think the biggest problem for me has been if i went to a games shop or i really wanted a game on release pal format it was not really possible as was never sure if the game would actually run on the machine or if it would be region locked
        I had a japanese 360, and I played I think it was the asian release of it, in english.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
          or there was that weird Gal Gun game where you shot Cupid arrows at girls...

Didn't that get a western release? I could have sworn it did, or at least Kotaku thought so. Unless of course the hubbub over the content caused the publisher to ditch it.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post

Oh & don't forget Ginga Force in the next few weeks which is region free as well

Good time to get in on the 360 shooter wagon tbh but I'd still consider PAL first.
            You really are trying to convince me to go PAL, eh...? What's the perks for that? Price I guess? What else?

Ginga Force I already preordered in preparation thinking it would be quickly sold out and its price would just get out of hand in the long run, although it might not be that amazing of course. My first XBOX game, and I don't even have anything to play it with. Eschatos is hard to find used, and all the new ones are the Hits copies.

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            If it's going to be your only 360, then I would definitely say go NTSC-J. Yes you can get some of the games region-free or on PAL, but there are also those that you cannot, which you are shutting yourself out from completely.

With an NTSC-J unit you may have to be a bit more cautious about checking compatability and potentially have to import instead when it comes to domestic games, but there is almost always an option, unlike trying to play Raiden IV on a UK machine, for instance.

The RRoD is no longer such an issue with the newer hardware designs too.

The English language version is called 'Trusty Bell' in Asia
            For now it will be my only xbox. Of course I might get another one in the future when they go down in price when the '720' is released. So far I think I'm leaning to get the "Asia" version merely for the fact that I wouldn't have to use a step down or get an extra PSU just for the JPN console, and it's overall a little bit cheaper (not much, like a tenner). Then again I'm one of those wankers who likes to get the "Japanese version" just for the sake of being Japanese so I'm not 100% but the Asia version would be a smarter choice out of the two.

I also have a PS3 and I think Eternal Sonata was released for it, so no big deal there. That game for xbox "Blue Dragon" also has an English version with Japanese voices in Asia, if the game is worth it. The XBOX would be for the exclusives and I think an Asia console wouldn't be a problem to have, and I'd get the option for the Shmups which I'm mainly getting it for.

Lastly, thanks a lot for the input guys. Extremely thankful for the Bordersdown community.
            Last edited by danholo; 05-02-2013, 18:41.

Comment

Gal Gun got a PS3 release btw.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post

The English language version is called 'Trusty Bell' in Asia
                cheers

Well have to say in my experience then the only drawbacks i have with importing a xbox is just some xbox live arcade games being set to japanese language (i have only come across 2 though) and games that got a english language version for usa/pal only like deathsmiles i havent been able to play had to settle for the japanese version and finally having to wait a bit longer for launch games as buying locally and not knowing if its region free is a pain

But if the language for you danholo is no problem then i cannot really see any major issues

Comment

Yeah no problem with language. I don't see any hindrance with Arcade games being in Japanese at all. I can read Kana 100% and it's fun to translate Kanji - as long as it isn't an RPG where merely one box of text can take 15 min to translate trying to look for the right characters and their compounds.

Comment

For the money you'd spend importing the Jpn machine you could get two PAL unit's and get one made region free. Probably still have change too.

Comment

Originally posted by danholo View Post
                      You really are trying to convince me to go PAL, eh...? What's the perks for that? Price I guess? What else?

Ginga Force I already preordered in preparation thinking it would be quickly sold out and its price would just get out of hand in the long run, although it might not be that amazing of course. My first XBOX game, and I don't even have anything to play it with. Eschatos is hard to find used, and all the new ones are the Hits copies.
                      Erm not much else that I can think of to buy a PAL version other than price.

Although the JRPG's that get PAL releases might be worth investigating as well.

Oh & don't forget to budget for an Arcade stick as well if you are buying it for the shooters

I'd just get the hits version of Eschatos...it's what I'll eventually do when I get round to buying it.

Neil

Comment

Yeah I might get a QANBA4AF or a variant for Arcade games. As a plus it works for PS3,XBOX360,PC. What JRPGs are for the the XBOX even? I find the xbox to be really scarce in that regard. I already have Tales of Vesperia for PS3. I'd only get it for the Xbox for collection's sake... I'm lamenting the fact that they had US versions of the game NEW for about 15 dollars on PA.com a few months back. No use crying over spilt milk.

Comment

If you like shumps and want all the options, go for a jpn unit, otherwise go for pal.

Comment

Originally posted by danholo View Post
                            Yeah I might get a QANBA4AF or a variant for Arcade games. As a plus it works for PS3,XBOX360,PC. What JRPGs are for the the XBOX even? I find the xbox to be really scarce in that regard. I already have Tales of Vesperia for PS3. I'd only get it for the Xbox for collection's sake... I'm lamenting the fact that they had US versions of the game NEW for about 15 dollars on PA.com a few months back. No use crying over spilt milk.
                            Actually now that you mention there are pretty much bugger all for the 360 so ignore that.

Just the shooters then really lol

Neil

Comment

Its really old now. (like launch window old) But there is also Wrestle Kingdom. I still enjoy dusting this off every so often.

Comment

Working...
                              X