Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I pull a signal from a portable MD player to a Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I pull a signal from a portable MD player to a Mac?

I have a few tracks that I need to get from MiniDisc onto my iPod, but I haven't got a clue what cables I need to do this. I have a Sony MD Walkman, and a G4 Apple Mac.

Any help would be much appreciated.

What connections is the Mini Disc?
    If it's USB can't you just plug it in, double click the icon and drag the files to your hard drive?
    When you 1st do this your mac may not like the look of the files but if you select "open with iTunes" when prompted they should be converted into a standard MP3 format and you can then change things from there.

If that doesn't work does your machine let you boot up in OS9 or is it locked in OSX with the classic application? If you can boot in OS9 do so, I can't find the following info in OSX. It may work through Classic but I have never, ever tried it.

Buy a lead that looks like a phono (headphone) jack on both ends of the cable. I don't know where you can buy them from sadly but they do exist as I have used them at college to get analogue sound samples.
    Plug the cable into your MD and the other bit into your "sound in" port on your mac. In OS9 go Apple menu/control panels/sound. Start your music up as you would normally on the MD player and click "sound in" on the sound panel on the Mac. You should hear the music and you can judge the sound record level from there. That saved sound file will be dirty analogue but should sound as good as your original file and you can always convert it into AAC within iTunes.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Hi bowser, ta for the reply.

Not sure what connections the MD has except for the headphone jack. I'll see if I can track down one of those cables you mention.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Square
        Hi bowser, ta for the reply.

Not sure what connections the MD has except for the headphone jack. I'll see if I can track down one of those cables you mention.

Cheers!

You plug the headphone jack into the iMic, the iMic into the Mac's USB port, and you're done.

You should be able to pick one up from a vendor online or from Apple's online store.

Comment

Nice one Baroque!

I'll see if I can track one down.

Comment

Working...
          X