Old Freecom Drive draws too much power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Freecom Drive draws too much power.

Got an old issue that I finally want to deal with after failing to resolve it at the time.

Got an old Freecom XS 500gb USB 2.0 Hdd which stopped working a year or 2 back. Basically it would try to draw too much power so anything I tired to plug the bugger into would turn off. A mate I got to have a look at it said that not much could be done with it as Freecom had a proprietary usb connection so couldn't be replaced. Because it was out of warranty Freecom were not much help.

Is there any 3rd party hdd recovery service place I can send it to? Got old important stuff I need to dig up off the drive so really desperate now.

Cheers

Have you tried plugging it into a powered USB hub that is in turn then plugged into a computer? That should supply more power as opposed to standard computer USB ports.

Secondly, if the drive simply isn't being recognised by a computer you must be able to take the actual hard drive out of its freecom casing and it'll be a standard drive. Then you could plug it into a desktop computer and use it as a normal hard drive.

I've had some success in the past with recovering data from faulty hard drives for family in the past, so if the first two suggestions dont help I may be able to guide you through some recovery options.

Comment

Hi adrock. Its actually a custom 2.5` HDD with a small board and mini female USB plug at the end of it. Basically it won't fit in any PC without serious modding I fear

I'll try the powered USB hub suggestion if I can just get hold of one :/

Comment

You got the product code for it so I could look it up? Sounds like a strange hard drive.

I'd be happy to give it a looking at if the powered hub wont work. If you're happy with a random having access to your data, but then thats the same as paying a company to do it for you.

Comment

It's 31454 mate. More than happy for you to have a look at it, some of the prices I've been quoted are astronomical for my unemployed arse

Comment

Hmmm, that looks like plain old mini usb to me. You sure its proprietary?

A few places have come up with the usb port getting damaged on these drives. Everywhere also says it should be bus powered, like all 2.5" usb drives I've seen. Which leaves me thinking the PCB could be damaged if its causing problems when plugging it into other machines.

Comment

Its standard mini usb, if thats the drive you have.

Comment

Yeah, thats the one. I did order another XXS around early 2011 but they'd changed the board type so doing a swap over wasn't an option either

Would there be anything you could do with it mate? I havent tried the powered USB route yet but dont really want to go out and buy one if I can avoid it.

Comment

Cant guarantee anything but I'm willing to try. Send me a PM if you want me to look at it and I'll get my address over to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X