Neo Geo JPN Power Adaptor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo Geo JPN Power Adaptor?

Just received my very first Neo-Geo from the wonderful Jaime. It has a Japanese power supply, can i just use a regular travel plug or will i need a step down converter. I post this question here for a speedy response.

Stepdown. An MD1 PSU might work though.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Any recommendations J0e?

Comment

Is it a NEO-AEC or a NEO-O? Look on the bottom.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Can't see either of those mentioned. However all the read outs in English are

AC100V 50/60Hz 38VA
          DC5V 3A

If thats any help.

Comment

You can't use an MD1 PSU in that case. Maplin or equivalent will have a suitable PSU though. Probably even Argos.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Would this one be alright? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stepdown-240...ansformer+38va

Comment

Cheers, thanks dude. Bought.

Comment

I use my Atari Jag PSU on my Neo - but it's the other one.

Comment

But wouldn't an external PSU defeat the need for a step down?

I use a Sega PSU. But I have one in the 50k range which should be the other one. Mine is language switched, and I found out by accident that it has a debug bios also.
                    Last edited by saturn-gamer; 19-05-2013, 19:47.

Comment

not totally true

if the external PSU has a multi-voltage of 110-240volts then all you need is a UK plug or a kettle lead and this works well with Gamecube and Playstation 2

if it is only 110v then I wouldn't even dare putting it near a UK outlet

Comment

That's incorrect. With all pre-Saturn consoles, you only need supply them with the correct voltage. Most of these consoles are 9V, so you just need an MD1 PSU. The shape of the plug itself matters not. 9V is 9V. It's only when PSU's became internal that stepdowns were required as UK mains is 240V, and Japan's is 100V.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yes.

Also, the voltage transformer inside the consoles of that era would accept like 2v to 12v or something silly as the machines required 5v to use.

Polarity is the one to look out for. Machines of this age are mostly center negative.

Comment

Just got that power converter J0e. Just turned it on and i get scrambled code or something with Sam Show 3. So i don't know whether its the console, power adapter or game.

Comment

Working...
                            X