Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving between 3DS systems & SD cards - DRM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving between 3DS systems & SD cards - DRM?

Anyone able to fill me in how the DRM works for downloaded titles on 3DS systems?

I've now got a Japanese 3DS as well as a 3DSXL, and given the former was part of the ambassador program (and also given I've bought a few e-store games on it) I'd ideally like to move the content over from this to the XL. Is this possible? To push my luck even further, I'd like to take what's currently on the SD cards for both systems (the XL came with a pre-installed game) and stick them on a single larger card. Is there a way to do this?

Yes, you can move the content to your XL. Here's a handy web page that explains how to:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...ystem_transfer

You can also move stuff from SD to another SD card on your PC. I recently did it because I bought a 16 Gb card. Just copy the "Nintendo 3DS" folder to the new card.
    Last edited by Guts; 01-06-2013, 21:29.

Comment

Via the system transfer option in the Settings menu. I did it between my two US systems and it was quite easy by following the on-screen instructions, though not all data on the SD card is transfered: extra data from Fire Emblem Awakening and Etrian Odyssey IV had to be rebuilt (no biggie, it's just SpotPass data), but downloaded games are not transferred and must be downloaded again. Not sure of save status as I didn't care.
      I think one of the latest system updates added the possibility to transfer SD card data, but it's best if you back up everything and head over to Nintendo's website for further details.
      No clue on preinstalled games...I never checked if my US one ever come with preinstalled stuff!

Comment

Hm.

Not sure if I’ve done something really stupid along the way, but I’ve now got everything that was on my 3DS over to my 3DSXL, the only problem being that the included game (Shin Megami Tensei 4) on the 3DSXL is now gone without a trace. As part of the process requires switching the memory I’ve now got a 2gb card in the XL and a 4gb card in the old one, but I’ve got a 32gb one coming anyway to replace the little’un. However, I’ve still no idea how to get the game back.

Hmmm.

Comment

Is SMT4 downloadable in the eShop?
          Last edited by Guts; 03-06-2013, 11:44.

Comment

Yep; I had a quick look and it still had a price listed for it too. Maybe I'll try getting a little further into the buying process and see if it changes to free...

Comment

Working...
            X