Best 1TB internal HDD for fat PS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 1TB internal HDD for fat PS3?

My 60GB is almost full so need to upgrade. I want a 1TB internal model but have been reading that some of the newer drives have quite aggressive parking features that affect performance. With that in mind, can anyone recommend a decent model, preferably Western Digital?

Also, I haven't done the HDD transfer thing before, but I assume it's just a case of using the Backup Utility to backup to a USB HDD, taking the old internal drive out, putting the new internal drive in then restore everything from the USB drive?

I bought this one just before Christmas and haven't had any issues.

As for the backup procedure then yes it's pretty much right. You'l need to format your external to fat32 first though....I'd recommend swissarmyknife as it may need to be a large partition.

Comment

Those ok for the Slim? My 320GB HDD is full and needs upgrading.

Comment

The answer is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by greenblob View Post
          I bought this one just before Christmas and haven't had any issues.

As for the backup procedure then yes it's pretty much right. You'l need to format your external to fat32 first though....I'd recommend swissarmyknife as it may need to be a large partition.
          Cheers for the info.

Comment

Oh, one thing I forgot to ask: does it matter if my external USB HDD already has some data on it? It's FAT32 formatted. As I understand it, the Backup Utility doesn't format the drive, it just creates a folder for the PS3 data.

Comment

I bought a 1TB-Samsung Spinpoint 2.5 drive from these http://www.cclonline.com/product/642...-Drive/HDD1163 it arrived in 2 days and they text you with shipping updates. One of the best prices online if you do a quick search. (edit, not to be mistaken with the other Samsung/Seagate 2.5" drive which is a different model )
              Last edited by MarioMark; 06-06-2013, 22:02.

Comment

They're actually the same drives.....If you read the product description on amazon it states "HNM101MBB" too.

Seeing as seagate and samsung are now the same its not surprising. The sticker on mine has both the seagate model and samsung model numbers on!

Comment

Just picked up a 12GB model. Am I right in thinking to put one of those 1TB drives in I'll have to buy a caddy for it?

Comment

You will indeed. GAME seem to have them in stock mostly.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I picked up a caddy, but the system is being a twat. I try to install the 1TB drive, but it keeps going over the copy > format process.

Any ideas?

Edit: Sorted. It seems I had to update to the latest firmware first.
                      Last edited by MonkeyJuggleDX; 20-06-2013, 13:41.

Comment

Working...
                      X