Great CNET article on input lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great CNET article on input lag

Great news: my very widely-read buddy over at CNET (US), David Katzmaier, has started testing input lag on all reviewed displays. We've been collaborating and sharing results from both sides of the Atlantic for a while now.

This is fantastic news, because CNET has incredible reach and clout. Manufacturers making laggy displays will likely be going back into R&D. The more awareness about this problem, the better!

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Indeed. Mine's at 20ms which is acceptable. Some of those sets are over 100!! FFS!

Comment

20ms? Is that a CRT? Should have got Lyris to test my CRT for lag yesterday. My LCD is 150ms with gaming mode off and about 40 with gaming mode on.
      The lag with gaming mode off on my old TV was certainly very noticable with shmups but with other, probably 30fps frame rate, it wasn't as pronounced.

Comment

Indeed. Mine's at 20ms which is acceptable. Some of those sets are over 100!! FFS!
        Was that tested with the new lag tester, or with the old high speed camera method? Irritatingly, the results aren't comparable.

My own Panasonic ST50 gets locked at 40ms by that and I find it very acceptable. But I also am not sure that 40ms on a PDP feels the same as 40ms on an LCD because of the different screen updating method.

Comment

Dunno mate. It's a 2010 telly - Samsung C7000 series. No idea where I read that number or if the place was even reliable lol.

Comment

Is there any way of testing it myself?

Comment

One way is hooking up a PC to your display as well as that PC to a CRT display and taking pictures every so often. There's more to it than what I just said but I know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
              X