Apple time capsule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple time capsule

What does this thing actually do? Does it give me 3TB of extra storage or is it only used for backing up my system? I'm a bit confused, so if anybody can shed some light for me, then that'd be great.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Had one of these for a few years. We only use the internal drive for automated Time Machine backups but I think you could partition it as a backup and for more storage space. Or you could use the internal drive for backups and hook anther drive up to the USB port for wireless storage.
    It works well as a router allowing you to use 2.4 & 5 GHz bands simultaneously. Decent range and speed as well.
    The automated backups are great for my good lady who would never remember to do a manual backup.

Comment

We have one installed at work to auto backup everyone's Macs. Given there's multiple people and working on different things, it's a good security catch in case one device is broken or stolen. We also use it as a router to the printer as the printer wouldn't work with the built-in office wifi due to the security encryption.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I've got a 3TB Fusion Drive in my iMac, I thought the time capsule would just basically mirror what was on that as well as being a router. If I can use it for extra storage space then I'll get one. ?399 just to back up externally seems a bit pointless to me.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

It does do backups but it does a bit more than that as on top of the standard backups it will monitor any changes that you make to your system and you may have deleted something or made changes months ago and find that you wish you hadn't so it's a simple matter of going back to the date and time you want and either revert to that state select individual files.

If you do have issues with your system you can also use it to restore your system.

If you use Time Machine it;s essentially Apple's own hardware for that.

I'm not really sure if there are any advantages in doing it using Time Capsule rather than just using an external hdd apart from maybe the fact that you can do it wirelessly so you don't even need it to be in the same room.

If you just want extra storage you're better off just buying a normal hdd rather than a Time Capsule as it is more than just a standard hdd and your system will access it regularly as you're working to track the changes you make which isn't ideal if you're also accessing it for other reasons.

You can partition it but I really wouldn't buy one to do that.

Comment

Time Capsule seems more like it is aimed at laptop users IMHO. I would just bung an external HDD onto the iMac for a Time Machine backup disc.

Comment

In PC terminology it is a router with a HDD in it. For a combined NAS/TM backup something like a QNAP works well.

Comment

Working...
              X