Amp and speakers suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp and speakers suggestion

What would the sound gurus suggest for an amplifier and a 5.1 speaker set? I'm totally oblivious to the hi-fi market, and searching for mid level solution, nothing excessively fancy.
    Must have HDMI, optical and stereo inputs, do not care about video capabilities (upscaling, multiple inlets). No real budget, just going for the best price/quality ratio.

As a bonus, splitting capabilities would be great (something like the PS3 can do, digital audio over HDMI/optical and stereo over 3.5").

Bottom end: http://www.richersounds.com/package/...deals/pah01858

Mid: http://www.richersounds.com/package/...deals/pah01868

Top: http://www.richersounds.com/package/...deals/pah01840

No idea if those are any good, but all of them will be "good enough". I just wanted to give you an idea of cost. I'm pretty sure you'll need to add cable cost on top.

Comment

The first two look good, the third is interesting because I could also replace the HDMI switch/splitter I currently use...a rather stupid question: when output, does the HDMI signla still carry the audio or is it "split" by the amp and only the video is broadcasted by the amp?

Comment

I have the Monitor Audio BX5's in Charles third choice. (Though different coloured cabinets) They take quite a few hours to settle in to their sound, but sound great now they have.

Comment

All modern amps have hdmi (around 4 inputs) optical/stereo inputs. Hdmi carries both audio and video, the amp processes both, outputting the souund to the speakers and the video to your tv.

You can get a fairly cheapish 5.1 amp nowadays. Make sure it encodes HD audio (most do), such as DTSHD etc as nearly all blurays utilize it. Modern amps will also encode a 3d signal. if you want the best sound, floor standers are essential for your left/right. I have a set of monitor audio slivers and they are ace but pricey, however the bronze series is a good entry point.

Welcome to a whole new world of obsession!
          Last edited by dvdx2; 07-06-2013, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            All modern amps have hdmi (around 4 inputs) optical/stereo inputs. Hdmi carries both audio and video, the amp processes both, outputting the souund to the speakers and the video to your tv.
            So the amp is not a passthrough for the audio, but completely splits video and audio?

Comment

the amp can also pass through the audio, so you can use the tv speakers if you dont want to use the 5/7.1. the amp just stays in stand-by.

3 excellent set ups, the mid one is very good for the money, i love Yamaha amps its all i buy. but if i did wander i would go Pioneer.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                the amp can also pass through the audio, so you can use the tv speakers if you dont want to use the 5/7.1. the amp just stays in stand-by.
                Is it possible to use both at the same time? I'm pretty set for the RXV373, but before buying I want to be sure that I won't need an other piece of equipment to have audio out from the amp/speakers and a second source (which is probably going to be HDMI-monitor-capture card) at the same time.

Comment

my yamaha 667 apm does ( as i keep needing to turn down the tv volume when its on) i cant say for defo about the 373.

check the yamaha website and get the user manual.

you could just get a splitter and use it from the source, one to the amp one to the card, but beware that if the capture only does stereo then you wont get HD audio to the amp, (at least that was the restriction when i used mine, maybe different now) but they are only 20quid or so for neet one on amazon

Comment

A quick tour to the Yamaha website confirms that the 373 can output to both speaker and HDMI out, so it's sold.
                    Thanks everyone.

Comment

Apparently Tannoy speakers are impossible to find here in Switzerland...at least, not the kind that won't cost me 1k CHF or more.
                      So I dug a bit and found the YHT-498, comprising of the RX V-473 amp and 5.1 Yamaha speakers. Any idea if these speakers are good?

Comment

Depends how much you want to spend? This is s great set up if you can afford it, the Yamaha RXV673 is the best 7.1 you can get or your happy with 5.1, http://electronics.mwdavis.co.uk/Product_i476633

Comment

I'd say no more than 500?, and I wouldn't have enough space for a 7.1 system, plus top-line amplifiers offer capabilities I already have (HMDI split, upscling), that while interesting, do not warrant the extra from lower-end systems.
                          Plus I have to deal with the local market, the Yamaha amp+speaker sets are readily available at decent prices, having things shipped from outside Switzerland will mean I'll have to deal with different plugs, I'd like to stick within borders.

Comment

The Yamaha kit arrived today, and I managed to rewire consoles and PC to it. So far so good, consoles output perfectly and the capture card seems to get the audio feed it needs by routing one HDMI cable from the splitter, to the monitor, and then to the capture card. Complicated but wrks fine. Now on to reconfigure HDMI consoles to only use HDMI instead of something else...and tuning speakers for stereo output...oh they sound different from the speakers I had before!
                            Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X