Recommend me a surround sound setup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a surround sound setup!

So, ill get it out the way straight away- I know nothing about surround sound.

I currently have a low budget setup, where all surround sound is connected by optical inputs, but after moving home, its not a great fit an the wires are everywhere so the missus is having none of it.

This seems to be my opportunity to buy a new system, but I'm clueless about what to get. I have a Virgin Tivo box, PS3 and 360 to connect to the new setup. I'm aware that its possible to have the video and sound from all these devices through one HDMI cable for each? I'm unsure how this would work though- I'm hoping someone can tell me, so would the 3 HDMIs go through to the surround sound, then they connect from there to the TV? All via one cable?

If so- great, that's what I'm after. Also, wireless rear speakers are a must, the wires everywhere are the reason I'm not allowed to use this one... So yeah, thats what I need, but don't have a clue where to start. Don't mind a low- mid range system, but not sure if I'm asking too much.

Please help me guys! I'm being forced to play The Last of Us without surround sound!!

Yes, one hdmi cable from the amp to the telly.
    You'll still need cables to the front stereo and center (unless the telly has those built in).
    Wireless rears..... not something I know anything about. I channelled the walls and sent cable up them and along the floor boards upstairs and back down

Comment

Wires for the front and center speakers aren't a problem- it's the rears causing the aggro

Comment

Just to be clear, I don't need a set with a DVD/blu ray player etc- that's all done through my PS3.

Comment

Also, I don't mind it not having HDMI, and just having everything through optical still if its cheaper (PS4 still has optical inputs right?)

Comment

Decorative Trunking no good?

Comment

Wireless rears are really the heavenly bastion of home owners but to my knowledge they havnt invented a solution yet, the closest still involves the rears being plugged into the wall, they connect wirelessly to the amp - but the are still wires for power. How about get a Yamaha digital sound projector, I'm hoping to ditch my surround set up for one soon.

Comment

You may have convinced us to get a soundbar- more specifically the well reviewed YAS 101.

Sleek, an with good results according to reviews. My current setup is probably around 10-15 years old, and this one apparently mimics 7.1 sound very well in mid sized rooms.

Seems like considerably less hassle, and I'm hoping as my old setup was so ****, that this one would be better by default!

Comment

If you can scrape a bit more I think the yht-s401 is a good starting point as it supports the current high resolution audio formats, dts-ma etc.

Comment

Omg that's even sexier

Comment

Soundbars are just "ok". Incredible tech, but never as good as the real thing. They are only really an option if cables are an absolute no no. You can get flat cables that you can paint over so they become almost invisible. I worry that you'll spend all that money on a soundbar and then always be a little bit disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        Soundbars are just "ok". Incredible tech, but never as good as the real thing. They are only really an option if cables are an absolute no no. You can get flat cables that you can paint over so they become almost invisible. I worry that you'll spend all that money on a soundbar and then always be a little bit disappointed.
                        ^^^^^ Indeed.

Effort = reward. Especially if you are using it for music. Think how many years your going to be in your new yard, get those rears hooked up man, especially as it helps to maintain your Kill/Death ratio!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          You can get flat cables that you can paint over so they become almost invisible.
                          or carpet over or hide in the wall with something like this:

Comment

Working...
                          X