Super Famicom power and RGB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Famicom power and RGB

I've bought a Super Famicom from yakumo, and finally got around in getting it hooked...but I have a question on it spower brick: I plan to use a PAL power brick, but the Super Famicom has the power inlet labelled "DC IN" while the SNES (PAL) has "AC IN 9V".
    Will I damage the Super Famicom by using a PAL SNES power brick?
    Also, does the Super Famicom output RGB without modifications? If so, is the console pinout any different from PAL or US cables?

Thanks.

PAL SNES PSU won't fit anyway, you need an MD1 PSU. It's RGB out of the box too.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
      PAL SNES PSU won't fit anyway, you need an MD1 PSU. It's RGB out of the box too.
      Uhm...it did? I mean, I plugged in the PSU on the console's end without any problems. It comes from a launch Italian SNES, it's rated 220-230V, 50hz 17W and outputs 9-9.4v 1.3A. Maybe UK PSUs for SNES were different?

Comment

The PSU you have is within what the machine will accept. As I've said before, internally the machine runs on 5v so it has to be converted anyway.

As for the RGB - yes out of the box. As for values... I can't quite remember. Check out the GameSX RGB cable guide for more info on this.

Comment

Thanks.
          One more questions: SNES pads are region locked...does anyone know if extension cords will be affected by this? The Japanese pad cords are less than half of the EU pad cords and I'm not particularly good at soldering.

Comment

SFC's can use any pads.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Dont use a PAL SNES PSU on a Super Famicom! The PAL SNES PSU outputs 9V AC whereas the Super Famicom needs 10V DC - it is not a good idea to use an AC power supply on a console expecting DC (The PAL SNES has a rectifier diode to change the AC to DC internally) The plug will physically fit (PAL PSU has a 2.5mm plug, Super Famicom has a 2.1mm socket, so the fitting may in fact be a little loose)

Surprisingly AC may work for a while, but you will likely end up getting graphical glitches as described in this thread:-

Your best just using a PAL Mega Drive 1 PSU as already stated (If you decide to use another PSU be sure to check the plug polarity - the Super Famicom requires the plug be centre/tip negative)

For RGB you need an RGB SCART cable with 220uF capacitors on the R, G, B lines - this is different to what a PAL SNES requires, but this shouldnt be a problem as the vast majority of third party SCART cables will already have these capacitors inside the SCART plug.
              Last edited by Link83; 17-06-2013, 21:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Link83 View Post
                Dont use a PAL SNES PSU on a Super Famicom! The PAL SNES PSU outputs 9V AC whereas the Super Famicom needs 10V DC - it is not a good idea to use an AC power supply on a console expecting DC (The PAL SNES has a rectifier diode to change the AC to DC internally) The plug will physically fit (PAL PSU has a 2.5mm plug, Super Famicom has a 2.1mm socket, so the fitting may in fact be a little loose)
                That's what was bugging me, consoles with different current requirements and not simply voltages. Good thing that I still haven't got around in using it, or even plugging the PSU into the outlet. Will get a MD1 PSU then. Thanks.

Comment

Hi

I have a few Super Famicoms and Pal SNES.

When I got my SFC, it had no PSU, so I used the UK SNES PSU on the SFC.

Fits fine, powers up games fine BUT.......

Its not correct. On playing some games (mainly Super FX games like Stunt Race FX etc) I get disturbance on the screen, and also this can happen on most games, but always FX games.

I thought at first my SFC was faulty as the games all worked on my modded PAL SNES but I read more on the problem.

I now use a PAL Megadrive 1 PSU. Fits fine and works a treat on my JP Super Famicom console.

So the MD1 UK PSU is what you need for a SFC in the UK.

I know some people have perfect results using a UK PSU from a SNES but teh MD1 works fine and solved my problem.

Comment

Quick question; where's the best place to get a MD1 PSU? Am I best off to eBay?

Comment

I needed on and bough a complete megadrive console with pad and psu for ?10 of eBay inc post

You could sell the md for about that obv, the md in question was dirty and not sold as tested but it had the power light on so knew the psu worked

Comment

I got one of these because they're NOS. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261229787245

Comment

Working...
                        X