New iMac help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New iMac help

I have the choice of five models. This unit is ONLY going to be used for iTunes (music and films), Pages, and for web browsing. I'm going for a 32GB RAM upgrade, and a 3TB Fusion Drive on whatever I get, but out of the five models below, what do I actually need?

1)
    2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512MB GDDR5

2)
    3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB GDDR5

3)
    3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

4)
    3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB GDDR5

5)
    3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

It's going to need to last at least four years, so any help appreciated.
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 16-06-2013, 13:24.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    I have the choice of five models. This unit is ONLY going to be used for iTunes (music and films), Pages, and for web browsing. I'm going for a 32GB RAM upgrade, and a 3TB Fusion Drive on whatever I get, but out of the five models below, what do I actually need?
    Everything you posted is absolute overkill for the intended purpose. In that aspect I would go for the first configuration just because it looks like to be the cheapest.

Comment

The price difference between the lowest and highest models is only ?479.99. The money isn't the problem, but I wanted to avoid anything unnecessary. I'll go with the cheapest one in that case. Thanks much. .

One last thing, is the 32GB RAM upgrade also uncalled for? I am likely to fill up a lot of the Fusion Drive with music and films alone. I don't want it slowing down as it gets filled up. Would 16GB or even 8GB of RAM be suitable?
      Last edited by J0e Musashi; 16-06-2013, 13:53.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

8GB would be completely fine...Go with the first configuration as for a fusion drive that's all up to you. I'd personally go with a standard 3TB because I highly doubt you'll see much of a difference with a fusion and its just not worth the extra ?200. Save yourself the extra ?680 or maybe put it towards one of the 27" versions seeing as its for movies.

Comment

This is a 27' version already. Standard HDD, and 8GB RAM it is then. Thanks much.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Is the cheapest one ?1,200 for real? That's jokes you could get a pc that would murder PS4's graphics for less.

Potentially, ahem.

Nothing against Macs, just that outlay seems a lot for what you need,
            Last edited by Baseley09; 16-06-2013, 16:56.

Comment

8gb is twice what you need

Comment

Why would anybody need 32GB RAM?
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Only when rendering animation/cg really.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                    8gb is twice what you need
                    More like 32x what he needs...

Comment

Hmmm I had a iMac around 4-5 years ago and it was a pretty decent display but how good is it these days? surely watching movies at 1920x1080 wouldn't look that great on a 2560x1440 display?

Macs are definitely great for iTunes and I personally would rather have a Mac if it wasn't for gaming and even then they're specs these days seem to show they'll be fine with games. Have you thought about going with a Mac Mini? I know the hard drive options aren't great but its not incredibly hard to upgrade yourself and then you have the option to pick the best display for yourself...

Comment

If you're running a server, you would. Or a single client for large (20+ million polygons) 3D models or large video editing projects. And in the latter case, fast HDDs would play a more important role that just RAM quantity.

Comment

I've gone with the cheapest configuration. I've added a 3TB HDD, SuperDrive, Pages and AppleCare. ?1837.01 all-in. Considering I was about to shell out ?3346 on the top of the line model, that's quite a saving. A saving I can put towards my Milk desk.
                          Last edited by J0e Musashi; 16-06-2013, 18:18.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

If you were building a machine to be Part of the xbone cloud!!

Comment

Daryl might want to impress someone at work/at the pub!

Comment

Working...
                              X