Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External HDD to use for File transfer on PS3

Hey guys,

Well as with most people lately I've managed to fill up my PS3 HDD so it's time to upgrade.

I've sourced a 500GB to pop in the machine & I've looked at a few guides on here about doing it but I'm just wondering what kind of External HDD to use to back all the data to before I swap drives over.

I only have a mains powered external HDD to use & that already has stuff on it that I need to keep so am I ok to use this or do I need to use a USB powered drive?

Thanks in advance

Neil

You need to connect a USB HDD to the PS3, then back up the internal HDD to it. It can be mains or USB powered. It needs to be FAT32 though.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Thanks Daryl

Will check how the External one is formatted & then go from there as it has all my pictures, Videos & music backed up on it so don't really want to have to do anything to it to use it for the transfer

Neil

Comment

Hey Neil,

How big will the backup be? (I think the ps3 will tell you if you click backup even without a drive plugged in)

I have a 32gb pen drive I could lend you.

When I did it I removed my games and downloaded them again after the upgrade so that the backup would be small.

Comment

Originally posted by djtickle View Post
          Hey Neil,

How big will the backup be? (I think the ps3 will tell you if you click backup even without a drive plugged in)

I have a 32gb pen drive I could lend you.

When I did it I removed my games and downloaded them again after the upgrade so that the backup would be small.
          Thanks buddy

Hmmm I'll have a look tonight but I reckon if I uninstall the games I might be able to get away with almost nothing to transfer just game saves & profiles

Totally forgot about just being able to re-install later

Comment

Profiles don't transfer. They are the only thing that stays when you remove a HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
              Profiles don't transfer. They are the only thing that stays when you remove a HDD.
              Ah right so just saves it is then

And then about a billion hours re-downloading all the stuff I've picked up from the PSN store

Comment

Yup. Probably best to just back up your saves to memory stick or to the cloud. If you don't have plus, I have a 30 day trial code you can have to back up protected saves.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                  Yup. Probably best to just back up your saves to memory stick or to the cloud. If you don't have plus, I have a 30 day trial code you can have to back up protected saves.
                  Will look for a memory stick when I'm home.

Don't think I can use 30 day trial codes...I had a PS+ after they cocked up with the security all those years ago when you got the 2 free games as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X