PS3 no longer able to connect to the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 no longer able to connect to the Internet

I was online with my PS3 (slim) on Sunday Night. Monday morning the console would not connect to the Internet. I use a wired connection.

My 360 still connects OK (I am posting this from it), so there is no problem with the Router (I have not changed any settings on the Router). I tried to set up the PS3 for Wireless (it could see my Router - Netgear 834). I originally connected using Wireless when I first got the PS3, but Wired proved faster.

I am with Pipex (now TalkTalk), so I don't know whether anything has changed with their server settings, though the PS3 was set up automatically and I have not had any problems before.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hmmm, I'm no expert on the subject, but check the connection with another ethernet cable, like with the one from your Xbox, might be just a problem with the cable.

I had a 20 gig 360 that I think just broke down, it wouldn't connect to the net anymore no matter what I did, otherwise it worked fine, but it just couldn't connect. Hopefully your console itself isn't broken.

Comment

Is the PS3 among the devices served by the router? What's the PS3 IP (you can check the router and the PS3 for this)? I don't exactly recall how the PS3 network setup works, but you can go through the wizard once more and see if this changes anything.

Comment

My first instinct was to try the 360 cable in the PS3 and it made no difference.

There was a hard coded IP address in the System Information that I tried in conjunction with some reputed DNS Servers for Pipex/TalkTalk. I was a little unsure of the Router Address though. For that matter there is no confirmation those DNS Servers are up to date.

I tried the Auto Setup option (I presume I would have used that in the first place) and the console could not find an IP address.

I would have rung TalkTalk, but they have an 0870 number for their Helpline at about ?1.50 a minute so I decided against that. Needless to say there was no sign of an email I could use to try to contact them.

It is frustrating because the PS3 is my main browser. The 360 (I am using for this) is a lot less user friendly.

Comment

Do you have DHCP on? The fixed IP on the PS3 might be out of the range served by the router, or for some reason the PS3 is set to look at a different subnet mask...theorically, with the router acting as a DHCP server, you would just need to connect the PS3 to one of the router's ethernet ports and run the automatic wizard.
          You can check on the router if the PS3's MAC address is blacklisted for some reason.

Comment

Silly question probably but have you tried simply rebooting the router?

Comment

A nuclear option would be to factory reset the machine. Obviously, keep that as a last resort.

Comment

I went with the default options on the Auto Setup. I have tried it for both Wireless and Wired with no success.

I added the PS3's Mac address as I have the Router set up to only respone wirelessly to known Mac Addresses (PSP's, DS(i)'s and my Wii, though I now have a USB Ethernet Connetion to try with that for faster response).

I have not, admittedly, rebooted the Router though it has had a few involuntary reboots due to temporary power loss on a number of occasions during the summer, though not in the last couple of weeks. May have to resort to that if all else fails, though I would not expect that to cause me any grief after the summer outages.

I did go into the Router Menu to try to check information there initially, after the inevitable Google search for the address I needed to key into the Browser on my PC. Maybe that could give me the IP addresses I would need to manually set that side of the PS3 Network settings.

I would rather leave the Reset Defaults on the PS3 as a very last resort.

Comment

Factory reset the PS3. You only need to re-select your resolution and sound options afterwards. It takes all of 30 seconds. Forget all of this manual inputting too, rebooting the router should be the first port of call here.
                  Last edited by J0e Musashi; 20-09-2013, 16:05.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I pulled the plug on the Router for a few minutes and was surprised to find that on restarting the PS3 was OK. I had done nothing with the Router between using it last Sunday night and using it on Monday morning.

Oh, well, one lives and learns...

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
                      Silly question probably but have you tried simply rebooting the router?
                      Jei gets the winning points!

Glad you're sorted and thanks for letting us know how you resolved it.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Jei gets the winning points!.
                        Ooo what do I win?!?

For reference I can't say that its what happened for certain in this case but in the past I've seen routers built in firewalls begin to block ps3 specific ports, normally because of the ps3 media server being active. I'd highly recommend putting your ps3 into the DMZ if you can to save it happening again.

Comment

Working...
                        X