Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB HID game controller -> PS3 converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB HID game controller -> PS3 converter?

Oi! You delete that sarky reply right now because I know the PS3 works with USB HID devices

I brought my USB Saturn pads over from my London trip to use with my PS3 and Macbook.

Of course, the Saturn pad only has a Start button - no Select or PS-esque button(button 13). This is really annoying with VF2 and Fighting Vipers which map the start button to each original game's start button with select being used to pause the game. Also, games like Street Fighter 4 use Select to reset the players during training and for other stuff.

My current lame-o workaround is to press the PS button on the PS3 remote, set the remote to controller 1, then do what I need to before setting it back to controller 7(which reinstates the Saturn pad as controller 1).

At an electronics shop near me they sell a PS3-USB HID converter to use PS3 controllers on devices that you can't install PS3 drivers on(or for people who find it too technical).

Basically, what I'm wondering is if anyone has come across a USB dongle box for PS3 that lets you plug in a USB HID controller but has built-in buttons(the PS button and maybe Select) for controllers that lack them or, even better, sends the code for the PS button if you press a button combo, like L+R+Start.

I'm not versed in the ins and outs of USB protocols and whether such a pass-through/piggyback situation is possible or if it would have to act as a USB host, decode the direction/button-presses from the USB pad and then reencode and send out as USB codes again(introducing lag, but I guess no more than PS2-USB converters and the like). It doesn't even have to mimic a PS3 controller; it could just function as a USB HID device.

Sorry for rambing. I'm at school and I'm bored and there are still two hours to go so my brain is rummaging around the ether trying to occupy itself. The firewall blocks pretty much every site I'd like to use for research but I'm imagining some Arduino-style bodge-job. Or maybe I'll just stick with the BD remote.
Working...
X