How to identify a PS2 modchip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to identify a PS2 modchip

I'm looking to buy a 'fat' PS2 and I've come across several modded ones being sold. Usually, the sellers have no idea what modchip they have fitted.

Is there a relatively simple way to identify a modchip? Opening the console would be the only way to be certain, but that's not really viable in most cases. Perhaps a combination of button presses upon boot to access the modchip's firmware version and settings, maybe?

Some have menus that pop up with Circle and Triangle held on boot - but there are many clones of the better modchips.

It isn't easy and I can only recommend popping the machine open...

Comment

People who had modchips fitted often wanted them to play DVD-Rs which is the quickest way to kill the laser.
      Depending on your reasons, a fat PS2 with FMCB and network adaptor/HDD might be an option.
      Only thing they can't do is multi-region PS1.

Comment

does that negate the requirement to install a mod chip? Arent Ps2 network adapters rare now?

Comment

They're not rare, just expensive. OPL is the best method nowadays. 750GB IDE, and you're laughing. You can easily open up a PS2, and identify the chip though.
          Last edited by J0e Musashi; 14-10-2013, 15:57.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Is ?18 expensive now?

OPL is okay but won't let you play pressed imports and many games don't work properly from the HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
              People who had modchips fitted often wanted them to play DVD-Rs which is the quickest way to kill the laser.
              Depending on your reasons, a fat PS2 with FMCB and network adaptor/HDD might be an option.
              Only thing they can't do is multi-region PS1.
              Yes, my plan was doing the Free McBoot + Network Adapter + HDD combo. I even contacted you about it, remember?

The thing is, I first need to buy a 'fat' PS2 and the ones I've come across have been modded. I figured it would be a nice bonus, being able to just pop in an imported disc and playing a game without having to jumping through additional hoops. Multi-region PS1 gaming would be nice as well, now that you mention it.

Comment

Thing is if the person doesn't know which chip is inside it's usually going to be a chip you probably don't want inside.

Still gutted that I missed out on a DMS4 modded PS2 on shmups.system11 a few years back for ?35. The chip is worth that alone.

A Ghost 2 is another chip I would consider, or a legit Matrix Infinity - although Modbo work fine too, I guess.

Comment

Is getting one of the 'flagship' PS2 modchips (like the DMS4, Matrix Infinity, etc) possible / simple nowadays, since everyone has moved onto newer and shinier consoles? I'd much prefer to have one of those instead of a cheap knock-off.

Comment

I've got a ghetto PS2 modchip. I think it's a Magic 3 or 4 or something. Works fine though. I mean what do you really want to do? If you're just interested in playing imported games from disc, it's 10x more faff to get a network adapter and an HDD and set up freemcboot.

The fancy PS2 modchips had their own little operating systems and stuff but you can do most of the same things with a cheap one.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                      Is getting one of the 'flagship' PS2 modchips (like the DMS4, Matrix Infinity, etc) possible / simple nowadays, since everyone has moved onto newer and shinier consoles? I'd much prefer to have one of those instead of a cheap knock-off.
                      Considering they've been out of production of years and the PS2 hasn't been relevant for a while now they are becoming increasingly hard to find.

Comment

I think I have an unused DMS3 somewhere. I didn't know they were still in demand.

Comment

Might just be me really. If you ever dig that DMS3 out I would be interested...

Comment

Working...
                          X