Which Blu Ray drive to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Blu Ray drive to get?

I'm after a blu ray drive and I DO NOT want to be arsing about with region locking and not being able to rip my films to my drive - big thanks for those that helped me with handbrake stuff!

Which is the best one to go for?

I use Pioneer drives mainly because the brand hasn't let me down in the past. (Not the best researched answer, I know).

As for Region Locking, the program which allows you to sidestep that works with any drive, as far as I'm aware.

Comment

Blu-Ray region locking is a bit tricky, unfortunately. You need to use a program called AnyDVD HD, which has to be constantly updated with the newest protections.

Still, less Blu-Rays seem to actually use region locking than DVDs.

Comment

AnyDVD HD is worth the money - very good software. I got the lifetime updates one. Seems a bit steep, but if you want to rip without tearing your hair out, it's the main option.

Comment

This one ok, gents?

?30?

Read only though. I'll still be able to use MakeMKV and handbrake etc... to stick them on my hdd, right?

Comment

I still use an LG GGW-H20L. Works great on PC/Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
              This one ok, gents?

?30?

Read only though. I'll still be able to use MakeMKV and handbrake etc... to stick them on my hdd, right?
              Yes.

I forgot how cheap BD-ROM drives are. BD-R single layer disks are actually a nice cheap alternative to hard disk storage if you want to stash stuff away and forget about it.

Comment

Installed, shows as a cd drive, won't play blu rays.

Checked device manager and it's not set to any region.

What needs to be done here?

It's a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-208D

Comment

What software are you using to try and play the discs?

Comment

VLC and windows media player.

Comment

Not convinced those are the best ways to go, afaik media player doesnt run blurays and VLC only plays the feature part, which may be split into bits anyway - would recommend (though not very highly) PowerDVD + AnyDVD combo.
                      Last edited by Baseley09; 25-10-2013, 14:24.

Comment

Does it play anything? DVDs?

Comment

Also, try Media Player classic Home Cinema Edition - that should play Blurays
                          MPC-HC, the free, open source media player for Windows

Comment

PowerDVD HD and other commercial players really are the only way to go for a fully-featured Blu-Ray player, unfortunately.

The likes of Media Player Classic: Home Cinema and VLC have partial support for Blu-Rays. The movie files themselves play fine, and they contain support for basic features such as subtitles. However, menus are unsupported, as are any advanced features such as picture-in-picture etc. These players also cannot decrypt the content protection by , so they have to be used in tandem with AnyDVD HD or similar. Open source support for Blu-Ray films is still very early.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                              Open source support for Blu-Ray films is still very early.
                              Will it ever get up to commercial products or there are things that you have to pay license fees, like HDCP?

Comment

Working...
                              X