Smart TVs and their secret data logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart TVs and their secret data logging

If you're considering purchasing a smart TV, especially an LG one, this might be of interest: http://doctorbeet.blogspot.co.uk/201...names-and.html

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

Fortunately, I'm considering buying a telly without a tuner or any form of network access or speakers or any other features costing money that should be spent on screen quality.

Comment

Comment

Opened this again. Worth its own discussion

Comment

Mind-blowingly devious antics.

Comment

The fact that they give you the option of turning the thing off but the option doesnt do anything is incredibly bold. That sort of thing doesnt happen by accident.... Unless there was literally zero testing

Comment

The channel surfing not that bothered about, Sky have been doing this for ages although I unplugged mine from the phone line to stop it reporting home. We can also expect some info grabbing if you're using free services.

The harvesting of your USB device content though - that's out of order. How many other Smart TVs are doing the same thing? I can understand if this was purely a meta data grab to something like thetvdb.com but that's not the case here.

The fact that this was hidden away, opt out and opt out not actually working and it being unencrypted is something else.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post

I'll just say if you want to skip to the hacking it starts around 41:00.

So who is getting Google glasses combined with a Smart watch?

Comment

I'm already wearing Google Glass, a Nike+ sport band, a Galaxy Gear, I've got a Pebble round my ankle and one of those Breitling watches where you pull the cord and it alerts an international rescue team.

WHAT PRIVACY

Comment

And soon you'll have a Kinect tracking your every movement and reporting it back to base. :3

Comment

Sole reason for Xbox One purchase.

Comment

Reported by the BBC today.

TV maker LG admits collecting viewing information, even after users have disabled the function, and promises an immediate fix.

Comment

From that "LG stressed that the information gathered was not personal but viewing information"

What's on your USB drive isn't viewing information - but at least they've now acknowledged the issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X