Best Free Alternative to Logmein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Free Alternative to Logmein

I've been using logmein to support my relatives occassionally (an app sits on their machine that allows me to remote accesss whenever I want). The free version of the app no longer exists as of today and in fact, I can't get on their website at all today.

Does anyone have any recommends for a similar (free) app I can leave on relatives' machines and remote access occassionally? I don't use it often enough to warrant a purchase.

TeamViewer is free for non-commercial use, which it sounds like you're doing.

Ammy is completely free.

Failing that, Google has plenty of other suggestions to look at such as CrossLoop, Mikogo, ShowMyPC, MingleView, LiveLook, ScreenLeap, SkyFex, CharlesRLikesOneDirection, Yugama SE for Skype, VYEW, Join.Me, Quick Screen Share and SplahTop Remote.

Comment

I did google, but I didn't see any sign of the One Direction app which sounds amazing.

It was a bit bewildering. Teamviewer looks good because I can use their app on the tablets. I'm hoping someone here has some experience with using something similar.

Comment

We used Ammy to connect between Italy and Switzerland, but switched to TeamViewer as Ammy was detected as malware/spyware/trojan by a lot of antivirus and firewalling programs. That was three/four years ago though, maybe things changed.

Comment

That's a bit of a bugger, I've been using LogMeIn free for years, I had no idea they were discontinuing it.

The best alternative I've used is the Chrome Remote Desktop plugin for (shockingly enough) Chrome, which is very simple and works extremely well. I generally found it to be faster than LogMeIn. The main drawback is that there aren't any tablet apps for it yet, which is why I was still using LogMeIn.

Comment

TeamViewer is great.

I recently set up a laptop in Australia using it. I transferred over the necessary files and then installed everything remotely. It took a while and a couple of attempts, but I got it done.

I'm actually connected into a PC in Russia this very second!

Comment

QC = H4XX()R!

Comment

It took me ages to learn the Russian for "I'm calling from Microsoft and it looks like there are a lot of errors on your computer. Would you like me to connect on and "fix" them?"

Actually, that Ammy software was what those types of fraudsters were using, hence the blocks by some antivirus software.

Comment

In my support network I use Teamviewer too. Very easy for my Dad etc to use.

Comment

Yeah, its really sad news that Logmein free is going away. I used to be a huge fan of Logmein; but as free version is going away, I have discovered an alternative to Logmein that will employ me to spam forums and annoy everyone. It's probably the worst software in the world and probably contains spyware and malware and will give them you bank details. It's called RHUB, but there's no way I'm putting a link to it.
                    Last edited by charlesr; 25-03-2014, 14:50.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Actually, that Ammy software was what those types of fraudsters were using, hence the blocks by some antivirus software.
                      I think they use logmein as well, theres a write up somewhere online.

Comment

Originally posted by rogergrand View Post
                        Yeah, its really sad news that Logmein free is going away. I used to be a huge fan of Logmein; but as free version is going away, I have discovered an alternative to Logmein that will employ me to spam forums and annoy everyone. It's probably the worst software in the world and probably contains spyware and malware and will give them you bank details. It's called RHUB, but there's no way I'm putting a link to it.
                        Wow, thanks for the warning! I'm steering clear of that RHUB thing! Sounds well dodgy. It's great that our readers with Indian IP addresses in Mumbai are so clued up and helpful.
                        Last edited by charlesr; 25-03-2014, 14:56.

Comment

Nice spot there charlesr! The unbelievable cheek of some people. Is there a reason why users don't have post counts next to their names would have been obvious he was spamming if you could see he was a one post wonder.

Comment

I waas thinking "Who's this guy? He's very honest with his appraisal of remote desktop software".

Then I saw at the bottom "last edited by charlesr".

Comment

Post counts make it a bit cliquey. "look at me, I've got a zillion posts. Therefore my opinion is more valid than yours. etc"

Comment

Working...
                              X