Power supply adapter for Japanese Mega Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power supply adapter for Japanese Mega Drive

Hi there, can anyone suggest which sort of power adapter I need to run a Japanese MD through the UK mains? (I really don't know enough about electronics to use the right jargon for this question.)

You can use the UK one for Megadrive and Master System to power a JPN unit. 9v.

Comment

Basically needs to be center negative and around 9-12V AC. Official UK PSU is 1.2A also.

The spec of the 7805 regulator is between 5 and 18v on input although the Mega Drive cooling won't be fit to accommodate the heat at max/min loads, I assume.

So as Baseley09 says basically. An Atari Jag PSU would also work, and a PAL SNES one IIRC. All systems from around that region use quite similar hardware power wise.

Comment

Thanks lads.

Used an old PAL Mega Drive power adapter (dug out of the depths), no luck. Perhaps it's broken.

The adapter I use with my Super Famicom and PC Engine made the Mega Drive hum loudly and output a whited out screen no matter the cartridge inside. Hope I didn't blow up the MD's innards...

Comment

I seem to remember my old Snes power adaptor did not work with my MegaDrive.

You should be able to use a UK MegaDrive plug with a Japanese machine. You can even use a Master System one, although the voltage is slightly lower.

Comment

PAL SNES runs off DC, so its PSU is entirely different.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Okay right ignore that. :>

I am baka.

Comment

Working...
              X