Neo Geo Pocket Color/BW questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo Geo Pocket Color/BW questions

Couple of quick NGP questions. I never owned one, despite being a big fan of the Color.

I notice the black-and-white systems still seem to fetch a bit on eBay, and always have. This surprises me, but that surprise is based on three assumptions. Can someone tell me if any of them are in error?

1. They only play a small number of games that were designed for them originally, and a very small subset of Neo Color games.
    2. They're not particularly rare; you can get one quite easily.
    3. They offer no advantage over the NGPColor consoles, having, as they do, a monochrome screen.

Is there any reason why a person might want to get a black-and-white one, short of being a collector, or owning one as a curio? For example, is the screen contrast significantly better (especially in less-than-bright-sunlight, as the NGPC, though better than some devices of the era, isn't so good indoors), or is the battery life significantly longer? (I'd be surprised at that last one, as the NGPCs batteries last forever, it feels).

So I suppose, what's the story with the bw units?

I can only suggest point #2. No, they aren't that easy to find, and yes they are sought after by collectors. Points #1 and #3 are correct.
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      I can only suggest point #2. No, they aren't that easy to find, and yes they are sought after by collectors. Points #1 and #3 are correct.
      Thanks, I guess it is probably just that they're a bit obscure.

Comment

I don't think they were on the market for very long before the Color came out.

I love my slim NGPC the system has some top games, it's just a shame these days that the lack of backlight makes it feel very awkward to use.

Comment

The b/w NGP was out for less than six months in Japan before the Color was released. That probably has something to do with it being harder to find.
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
          X