Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC capture cards anyone got any recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC capture cards anyone got any recommendation?

I'm trying to find a decent PC capture card that could record video footage not only Xbox360 and PS3, but most of the main stream retro consoles so Saturn, Dreamcast, Megadrive, NES, SNES, N64, PS1 and PS2.

PS3's are a pain due to their HDMI copy protection so it far easier to record component.

Any one have any advice or recommendations? As currently I cant seem to find any that support RGB Scart or composite.

I'd seriously look at the Elgato Game Capture HD. www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0082J1YCE/

Supported stuff here: http://help.elgato.com/customer/port...me-capture-hd-

Only composite for older stuff though. I don't think you'll find much that supports to res RGB other than something like that Micomsoft capture device. http://www.solarisjapan.com/xsync-1-...-capture-card/

Comment

Cheers Speedy, the Elgato look pretty good, check quite a few videos on Youtube. Sadly that RGB capture device is out of stock but I would prefer it due to the better video quality.

Interestingly you can record the Dreamcast in VGA on the Elgato, via a VGA to component converter but no one had detailed the setup so can't see if they just use a VGA to component cable or a fully on converter for it to work.

Comment

I use a Blackmagic Intensity, the USB 3.0 variant (there are PCI-E and Thunderbolt variants as well). It has passthroughs for HDMI, Component, S-Video and Composite, though I run everything through a FrameMeister so everything is hooked up via HDMI (or component through a HD Fury III for the PS3).
        I like the card, though it requires a lot of effort on the hardware side: it records uncompressed video and audio streams up to 1080p30/1080i60, so you need a fast and large hard drive; at 720p60/stereo, a 1GB hard drive holds about one hour of recording, and even WD Blacks can drop frames; SSDs of course can withstand a 1080p stream, but 1GB SSDs are not cheap.
        The big thing for me is that it blends with Premiere and After Effects effortlessy, and supports real-time effects in those programs, it even has a decent scaling when using the passthroughs.

Comment

You can't shove RGB through the component though can you?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            You can't shove RGB through the component though can you?
            Never really tried, when I bought that card years ago I was already with upscalers (DVDO Edge and XRGB-3) and I got that to record from the PS3 mainly.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion briareos, we used to have a Blackmagic card at one of the places I used to work, couldn't remember the name however.

Very good card, don't know if I'll be investing in a copy of adobe premiere for editing however, but currently I'm just using Windows Movie Maker and it's very basic.

Not concerned on spec for the card as I plan to buy a new PC to do the video recording.

Comment

Working...
              X