Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DDR Dance Pads - anyone know much about them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DDR Dance Pads - anyone know much about them?

After seeing some highly skilled players at a recent con, I realised that apart from a few quick goes here-and-there, I've never played much DDR.

Does anyone know much about the pads/mats/etc?

I've been told that the cheap vinyl/foam mats are useless, as they slip too much on the floor and are really just a novelty, so if you want to get much out of the games you need to get a metal one.

Had a quick search on the forum but much of the info is so old that it probably wouldn't be much use now.

Seen a few places online that have them in stock - this is one of them:

Seems it only supports PS1/2 (though I guess you could use a USB converter and such for other platforms).

Anyone have an old one for sale, perhaps? Or could you recommend a specific brand?

In my day (I used to play a lot ~10 years ago), CobalFlux pads were meant to be the pad to have, but I don't think they're even still about these days. Never heard of that one you've linked before, I would recommend doing some serious digging amongst more dedicated communities before you throw down the cash.

Comment

Definitely agree with fuse. The pad you linked above while expensive is pretty bad..

Vinyl/floor mats are okay if you have some way of securing them to begin with though.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        I would recommend doing some serious digging amongst more dedicated communities before you throw down the cash.
        Had a look online and they seem dead. DDRFreaks in particular has a forum that's still live, but hasn't seen any posts in 3 years. I guess the genre has gone the way of Rock Band.

If I can't realistically get a decent mat for ?150 then I'll probably forget about this idea.

Comment

You can get hard plastic versions. They really hurt if you stepped on the edge in bare feet

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Had a look online and they seem dead. DDRFreaks in particular has a forum that's still live, but hasn't seen any posts in 3 years. I guess the genre has gone the way of Rock Band.

If I can't realistically get a decent mat for ?150 then I'll probably forget about this idea.
            Man - I joined DDR Freak in 2002 and was very much an active member for years - those are some memories! I know they killed off the UK section of the forum years ago though, killing some thousands of threads in the process...

I think you are probably not doing yourself any favours if search for a 'DDR pad' though. There is still very much an active dancegame community, but most people are more heavily focused on ITG/Pump seeing as that catered far more for the hardcore stepping crowd. That said, I think that home releases are less of a thing now too, and most everyone who's into it seriously has access to some kind of local cab, rather than trying to build a home setup.

Comment

Used to watch people play Pump It Up Exceed in Troc. Nutters/amazingly skilled. Quite a few of them had tshirts with the names of competitions in South Korea on too.

Comment

And you can get PIUE for the PC with USB mats I think. Possibly a good option. And much more fluid than DDR due to the mat layout.

Comment

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

Working...
                  X