Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamecube Component or Saurian RGB cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamecube Component or Saurian RGB cable?

Got an NTSC cube and a Pal cube, so a mix of games. Got both of these cables but im feeling that one is probably redundant. So what should i sell/keep? Obviously the component cable is worth a bit of money now, but do all games work with it? Whilst the Saurian cable is probably impossible to reproduce now. Any ideas?

The Saurian cable is far from impossible to reproduce now, considering it is documented how to produce it.

I'd say it is up to you. Do you use the 480p Cube function?

If no there's no reason to keep the component cable, you might as well simply cash it in.

Comment

FFS!! I just did a quick check to see how much component leads went for. My mate found mine in a random box a few weeks back and asked if it was worth keeping or flogging.

Comment

Cheaper to buy a Wii and an official Wii component cable..

Comment

I have a Saurian RGB cable, and having recently been forced to 'upgrade' to a LCD TV from using a trusty CRT (which has unfortunate bit the dust), have felt somewhat underwhelmed to say the least at the picture quality through RGB. But that's perhaps for another debate..

Is a component cable really that much better to justify the prices it goes for now, though? Presumably the picture quality between RGB/Component isn't that different, unless you're running one of the few GCN games which support progressive scan??

Comment

The quality is the same basically - at 240p/480i. Being able to select 480p on an LCD display is massive in terms of quality - hence the desirability of them.

Comment

Ah, I see. This page lists all of the GCN games which support progressive scan, more than I thought actually:

Comment

You need to hold down B when the game is booting most of the time, if there is no prompt. For PAL titles that will introduce a 50/60Hz option if it isn't there normally for games that support it. I don't think many PAL titles support 480p though.

Comment

I didnt think ANY PAL games had a 480p mode for the GC? Official Component cable is a big pic improvement over suarian RGB cable IMHO. What are the GC games like using the wii console and its component cable?

Comment

Does that work on a cube-enabled Wii as well?

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                      I didnt think ANY PAL games had a 480p mode for the GC? Official Component cable is a big pic improvement over suarian RGB cable IMHO. What are the GC games like using the wii console and its component cable?
                      Debatably not as sharp but unless you're doing a side by side comparison and being pedantic then you won't have any complaints.

@Brad: Should do I suppose?

Comment

I'd say using the official gc component lead with a 480p game (LCD), gives a better picture, than Using the official rgb scart lead on a crt.

Question for anyone who has demoed an official GC rgb lead and a saurian modded one - does the latter, improve pic quality?

Comment

Nope.

Comment

That's just there because NTSC Cubes don't do RGB. And no PAL Cube game supports 480p, it's NTSC only.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Yeah. The component cable has a DAC in it. Those digital signals for RGB are made into analog and then are used as a regular RGB cable would be. Bit of a sod as the DAC is proprietary so you can't replicate it - for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X