Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 HDD upgrades - How do I do it?

Hi guys,

I seem to be downloading more games these days off the U.S and JP PSN store, as it is simply cheaper and easier to do then buy them boxed etc, and I want to install in a TB hard-drive so I have space for the future.

The question is, is it easy to do? Will it invalidate the warranty and could I break the machine if I mess it up? Also what is the best TB HDD to get for this kind of thing?

Edit: Sony give a step by step guide, which I'll use... but it doesn't say which are officially supported and if it is better to go with a 2.5 inch (internal type) or a Serial ATA...

Anyone?

Cheers! Really new to all this stuff!
    Last edited by darkangel; 04-08-2014, 01:07.

Originally posted by darkangel View Post
    Edit: Sony give a step by step guide, which I'll use... but it doesn't say which are officially supported and if it is better to go with a 2.5 inch (internal type) or a Serial ATA...
    The HDD must be 2.5" and SATA, they are very clear on this. The best TB drive would be a SSD, like the Samsung EVO, but it's not exactly cheap. Also, 2.5" mechanical HDDs with TB capacities are usually 5400rpm, so you'll only get more space, and not a perfomance boost.

From the looks of it, it's pretty easy, you'll just need to be careful not to use too much force when removing the plastic casing from the console.

Comment

Just did this with my console. Back up to the cloud storage first of course. There is no quick option to back up all saves to USB like the PS3 has - you have to do it individually.

You'll need a USB drive with ~1GB free for the firmware though, and select "reinitialize" rather than "update" when it gives you the options.

I went with the Seagate 1TB SSHD in the article that DavidH pointed out a few weeks back - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Lapt...ds=seagate+1tb

Comment

Why do people stop with a 1TB upgrade?

Comment

Because I can only play so many games, and it limits what I'll buy.

edit:
          Looks like there's not so many 2.5" 2TB drives actually.
          Last edited by kryss; 04-08-2014, 12:28.

Comment

Doesn't a 500GB drive do that?

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
              The HDD must be 2.5" and SATA, they are very clear on this. The best TB drive would be a SSD, like the Samsung EVO, but it's not exactly cheap. Also, 2.5" mechanical HDDs with TB capacities are usually 5400rpm, so you'll only get more space, and not a perfomance boost.
              Originally posted by kryss View Post
              I went with the Seagate 1TB SSHD in the article that DavidH pointed out a few weeks back - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Lapt...ds=seagate+1tb
              Thanks guys, so would the Seagate 1TB SSHD improve the performance on my PS4 too? I just checked out the Samsung EVO price and by word it is allot of money. I think I'll go with the Seagate. Will that model boost the performance of my PS4 or do the opposite? Many thanks for everyones tips and advice, I'll remember to select the reinitialize option!

How long does it take to upload games onto the cloud? Say for example Watchdogs?

Also, is there a link to DavidH's article? Should make for a helpful read!

Cheers.

Comment

Saves automatically upload to cloud saving in the background, so you don't actually notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  Doesn't a 500GB drive do that?

Quiet you!

Anyways, my plan was to put the 500GB drive in my PS3 to replace the 160 it had.

Comment

Working...
                  X